Help Molly Acting Strange

Jylin

Reaction score
Hello pleasant day. I'm new to this but I have a molly its gold and black it was fine when I got it on Saturday however yesterday it started shimmying and now it sleeps a lot what's wrong

FrostedFlakes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What are your water parameters? How often do you change the water? How large is the tank? I see you do not know the nitrogen cycle. In short, the cycle is the conversion from ammonia (very toxic) to nitrate (less toxic). This cycle is a essential for the health of fish. Fish naturally produce ammonia and ammonia can also be derived from left over food. When levels exceed around 1ppm, it is very lethal. If your tank is not cycled, I would guess this is the reason for your fish's odd behavior.

OP
J

Jylin

Reaction score
I clean my tank every Sunday I'm not sure about the nitrogen cycle thou...I'm away a lot at home only at weekends the pH is kinda low its 6.5 I also use rain water for my tank because I live in a place where it rains almost every day. I tried changing the temp how ever higher than 78° Celsius and they start shimming violently lower they still shimmy

FrostedFlakes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would start doing more frequent water changes if you can. It will protect your fish from high amounts of ammonia. It takes about a month for a tank to fully cycle and it's pretty important. Is there anyway you can test your water? I recommend the API liquid master test kit, but if that is not available most petstores or local fish stores can test water for you. The behavior you are describing sounds like it could be the effects of ammonia. Also, when you said 78 celsius I am going to assume you meant fahrenheit lol. 78 celsius is quite the temperature.

OP
J

Jylin

Reaction score
Lol my phone has a mind of its own but yes Fahrenheit so its not safe to put in the fish I have acquired then. Also its not planted the store has no aquatic plants right now and the bed of it is made from river sand... Is that also contributing to the ammonia

FrostedFlakes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No, the ammonia stems from fish respiration, fish poop, uneaten food, etc. 78 is fine for molly temperature. Any way to test water?

OP
J

Jylin

Reaction score
Not until Monday I get the store to. So its okay to have river sand in the tank??

FrostedFlakes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If river sand is your only choice, I would boil the sand before adding it just to be safe and help prevent the spread of diseases, invasive snails, etc. But, it won't contribute to ammonia unless it contains decaying matter.

OP
J

Jylin

Reaction score
Okay thank u. One last thing could I post a picture and u tell me if the swordtail fish is male or female.. The lady who sold me the fish said it was female but I did my research and is not convinced it is female

OP
J

Jylin

Reaction score
Jamaica and its or rainy season plus I live in the hills.

How do I post a picture

FrostedFlakes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Next to "post reply" there is a button that says "upload file". From there you select the picture.

OP
J

Jylin

Reaction score
Been trying all I get is error

FrostedFlakes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Don't know what's going on then :/ Check to the file type. I have to go now but I'll check back later

Pescado_Verde

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mollies are known for their shimmying. They are frequently bred in and kept in conditions such that the fish are in a way, neurotic. Also, mollies evolved to live in water that varies from fresh water to salt water. Even the fresh water varieties require hard water for proper biological functions. A higher pH and a good hard water would be best for that species. I hope your fish survives. I had a similar experience with a Dalmation Molly that I bought. She would swim up and down against the glass and do the Molly shimmy dance. After 11 days I found her dead in the tank. I began to supplement my water after that, my total dissolved solids now are just a bit over 300 and I'm having good luck keeping Mollies, my pair have had babies. Good luck. I use Seachem Equilibrium to raise the GH of my water. It is mostly Calcium sulfate and Magnesium sulfate, both help the Mollies to have better health.

OP
J

Jylin

Reaction score
Thank u. It seems today or last night a molly in the tank gave birth how ever I have only seen one fry and its not going to live because the stomach is wide open. Can this be an early birth or is it likely the other five adult fish and cat fish has eaten them already

OP
J

Jylin

Reaction score
So many problems but this I extremely urgent a molly is lying upside down. I know its dying. Its shedding it scales and I have noticed it looked like it was hurt but I have had my previous mollies for over a month I'm seeing a transparent spot on the female she has just given birth so she's a bit stressed. It is a similar spot to the one that was on the male molly who is dying. Wat is this. And is it likely I Bought the fish sick???

New Threads