Mollies? 55 Gallon Tank

1. gbreeder88 Member Member

Me and my friend are breeding mollies he have about 6 and when the babies are born we want to use the 10 gallon tank they're in into their grow up tank. My friend has a tank but its really small, dirty and over crowded so they might not do so good in there. I have 2 other tanks but they're both A. Cichlid tanks so would I be able to put mollys in the cichlid tank untill the babies are sold? The babies could grow up in my net breeder but I would rather them grow up in something bigger.

Help?:;dk

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!
    what kind of cichlids? ALL fish will eat fry if they can catch them..including the parents...so if you want to save the babies, they need a tank of their own

3. gbreeder88 Member Member

I have 2 albino zebras, 2 jaguars, a cat fish and I just got 3 more cichlids yesterday and im not sure what kind they are.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

like i said, ALL fish will eat fry..and the ones you listed, will go out of their way to kill and eat them....id keep the 10g for a breeder tank and check out craigslist.org..they have a ton of used tank setups with great prices

5. gbreeder88 Member Member

I know the fry are going in the 10 gal all by themselves if the adults can go in the cichlid tank but if not they will go in my net breeder.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

meat cichlids are meat eaters and if they can fit they can fit the parents in their mouths they will eat them:( mollies/guppies/goldies, among others , are used to feed the fish you have..

7. gbreeder88 Member Member

Oh well looking at my cichlids 1 is smaller then my mollies and the rest are actually the same size as my mollies. So they may be aggresive toward the mollies but they're all aggresive toward eachother for the first hour or so. But I just realized that the mollies eat different food then the cichlids so it wouldent work out :( . But do you think the mollies would be able to live in the cichlids water?

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

whats your cichilds water?

9. gbreeder88 Member Member

Not to sure at all really. I do know that the ph is 7, I use the stress coat with the fish doctor on the front named doc. wellfish and there is a piece of coral in the tank. But thats all I remember because I set it up around 8 years ago :;santaclaus

10. Godfather6reat Initiate Member

mollies are prety hardy fish i have had experience breeding them. you can produce up to 80 fish with the one fry.

if the chiclids do in fact eat your mollies which if they don't now they will later, you could simply replace the mollies if you keep up with breading them, save money on feeders.

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what type of test kit do you have? depending on the type of cichlids you have, depends on different water requirements...african cichlids require a higher ph of 7.8-8.2 and other cichlids require lower...

mollies are able to adapt to all kinds of ph's as long as they are stable....but if you truly are into breeding your mollies and have good quality fish, its best to have the parents have their own tanks, where they can be target fed a variety of foods and have no stress whatsoever..that should be done with any fish you intend to breed for great colored, sucessful, healthy fry...

12. desertrefugee Member Member

I have a single male Silver Molly (sailfin I think) that has been living for several months in a 65g tank with various African mbuna - some quite grumpy. He's only still in there because he refuses to be caught. Surprisingly, he's doing fine...

13. Sussex Cichlid Initiate Member

A lot of Central American cichlid enthusiasts keep livebearers in their cichlid tanks, but it is a bit of a risk. Livebearers are a good source of live food as the adults are usually too quick to be caught, but the babies are not and are subsequently eaten. But as I say its a risk, because as somebody above said "if it fits in their mouth, cichlids will eat it" So its your call.

14. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

try to get a 5 gallon even for the parents..it would be better than losing them

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. :animal0068:I have moved your thread to the "live bearer/molly" section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken