MOLLIES

1. Craig Well Known Member Member

can mollies survive in the tank without any aqaurium salt??? is the aqaurium salt only needed when breeding them??

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

3. Craig Well Known Member Member

so they will do ok but they wont grow stronger???!!! HUH?? im confused

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

question, if you are to add salt and you have a cory for instance that doenst like salt is it still ok to use salt at a reduced amount?

5. Craig Well Known Member Member

i hav 2 panda cories so that puts me off usin salt even more now

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

If you have Cories and Mollies, don't use salt. Mollies can live without it, and it can kill Cories. However, in order for them to thrive and be at their best, they need some salt in their water--I think at least 1 Tbsp per 5 gallons for Black Mollies and as much as 1 Tbsp per gallon for Sailfins. I personally don't reccommend breeding them without salt in the water.

7. fletch Member Member

The thing is, captive bred fish have been bred in freshwater over generations and the salt rule just generaly doesnt apply to the domesticated strains any more. You wont see a pet shop using brackish water tanks. My mates mollies are very happy without salt and they breeed all the time

8. joe Member Member

I agree with fletch my sailfin molly just had babies and i have no salt at all. All my male sailfin does is mate with the female.

9. DEADFISH Initiate Member

I breed it well...bought it pregnant a dalmation molly and it gave birth without salt but then 3 days later she died...any clue if it's becausse i didn't use salt water?

10. Boxermom Member Member

The amount of salt normally added for livebearers does not qualify as brackish, and yes, many LFSes do add salt to all of their tanks. Its been well-established that the addition of salt, while not absolutely required, is best for the optimal health of livebearers.