Mollies Playing "tag"

JtheFishMan

I have two balloon mollies, one male and one female. I've had the female one in a isolation box, because I thought she was going to give birth for about three weeks now. But, she has not delivered. Just recently, I just bought some guppies to put in the regular tank with my male molly, but the male molly has been pretty aggressive towards the guppies. So, I put the mollies together in a separate 5 gallon tank. Once I released the female molly with the male one, she has been chasing the male around. It seems as if she's "nipping" him. Is this a sexual behavior, or just aggression from territory purposes?

FishFor2018

You always want either a 1 male to 3 female ratio or all males with livbearer's

rainydays

Mollies typically do best in a tank around or larger than a 30 gallon, as far as I've seen! The smaller space might be partially responsible for some of the aggression (mollies have quite the bioload as well) but it's also really best to keep a female:male ratio of 3:1, as FishFor2018 said!

As for your regular tank, more hiding places seems to work well for aggression; more fish and a larger tank size can also help! In my tanks, I've usually cracked down on aggression at least a little bit with some more tall plants or rocks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Mscharming
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Mscharming
  • Question
  • reganbain
  • Molly
Replies
Views