Mollies or Swardtails?

1. M

Mum Valued Member Member

I woke up to fry in our tank, but I can't quite figure out which fish had fry... they all kind of look a little skinnier, but it's probably my eyes.

I think they are from my Solar Flare Swordtail, she was acting funny last night with her fins pinned to her side.

Anyone think they can tell the difference? Obviously I will find out soon enough, but I thought it might be fun to know. You can see the adult Solar Flare in one of the pictures, as well as my female Mollies, for comparison.

IMG_0183.jpg IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0185.jpg

2. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Well, I am certainly no expert lol, but if I was just making a guess (based on seeing different fry at the LFS) I would say molly fry

3. OP
    OP
    M

Mum Valued Member Member

I swear every time I go out there another fry is swimming around, so I've put both the silver molly and the swordtail in breeding boxes, so I'll figure it out soon enough.

4. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Those boxes are the most stressful thing for a female giving birth. They can cause aborted broods and the death of the mother. Her overwhelming instinct is to hide in the plants.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Mum Valued Member Member

That's definitely one opinion, however I've had success with our breeding box, and have gotten to know quite a few people who have as well. I believe it has to do with when you place them in the box, and how stressful you make it for them.

Our box is always in the tank, so it's nothing new to them. Each fish has spent time in the box at one time or another, normally during bullying situations. All of them are calm as can be in the box. They eat and then when released don't go hide like they were traumatized. They show no signs of stress.

The last time I had fry the Molly was chased by the other fish while they ate the fry popping out of her, almost as soon as they dropped. She started off with healthy fry, but as she was being chased nonstop she started just releasing fry that could barely swim. Plants did not help her from the torment. She ended up dying, so breeding box it will be for us from here on out.

6. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Well, I don't really know enough about breeding boxes to comment on that, but Mum did you figure out which one was having the fry?

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The fry are the color of the female sword, so I would guess that they are Swordtails. They also have the longer caudal peduncle of the sword, vs. the slightly shorter peduncle of the Mollies.

Breeding boxes generally lack good circulation. Having a grate in the bottom does not move water through the box. They may work for smaller species, but fully grown Mollies and Swords are better off in a separate tank full of weeds for the fry to hide in.

8. OP
    OP
    M

Mum Valued Member Member

No more fry have come along, so I'm still unsure. I released the two females about an hour later, when no other fry appeared.

I've spent quite a bit watching the entire tank. The silver Molly looks smaller than before, so they may be hers and their pigment has not come in...

All of the fry are now in a separate tank along with 1 lone survivor from a couple of weeks ago. I cannot tell the difference in them yet, except that the older one is a bit bigger and bright white. He came from a Dalmatian Molly.

It's such a mystery!

9. OP
    OP
    M

Mum Valued Member Member

These little guys are VERY silver now, bright and clearly from my Molly. :) Mystery solved.