Mollies Have The Shimmies Help

1. m

mistressify New Member Member

So while I'm rather new to aquarium keeping and whatnot, I've dabbled a bit for about two years now. Right now I have an overstocked tank due to a housemate dropping "rescued" fish off into my tank, and of course, that introduced ich into my tank. Lovely, right?

I'm currently treating the ich using Nix-Ich by Weco, and while I prefer not to use meds and instead use the heat and salt method, I have to go back to college on Sunday and thus I won't be able to finish the heat method in time. A friend will be finishing the ich treatment for me with the gravel vacs and water changes.

I checked my water parameters today before water change and a dose of nox-ich, and they were as follows: <0.2 ammonia, 180 gH, 80 kH, 20 nitrate and 0 nitrite, 7.0 pH. Everything looks good to me.

I have the following fish in the tank: 3 mixed silver calico mollies, 1 silver molly, 5 mixed platties, 1 male betta (no torn fins and he's been there for 3 weeks!), 3 swordtails, and 2 african dwarf frogs.

Unfortunately, my three silver calico mollies have the shimmies! Well, two of them do. The silver molly doesn't though, which I thought was weird. And none of the platties or swordtails have the shimmies either. My little calico's are swimming and eating like normal though.

I have done a 25% water change now and added a very small amount of aquarium salt per some advice I found from this forum on Google. Is there anything else I can do? Is it lethal? Could it be from the ich?

I feel like my poor babies are suffering and I feel horrible :(

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore, hope you get some responses today

3. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

The cause of the "shimmies" is usually water related.
    Do you test your water parameters?
    Do you use prime? Try adding some carbon in a bag to the tank and doing PWC's and testing the water.