20 Gallon Tank Mollies & glofish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have kind of a black & white theme going with my fish tank... but I'm interested in a pop of color... I was wondering if Glofish would be compatible with balloon mollies (I plan to have 4 mollies at most), or would they be too small?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!
If we are talking about the 2g tank in your aquarium information then I wouldn't add any more fish. The two mollies already in it will out grow a tank that size.
Carol

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2g unfortunately isnt really good for much more than a few inverts. If you are talking about a larger tank 20g+ then it could work, although danios are very active and zippy in comparison to mollys.

OP
I

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, I wouldn't add more fish to a 2g. I'm waiting for a 20g to cycle. I'm thinking when the new tank is good to go, if glofish would be able to live with mollies... or would the mollies try to eat them?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glofish it is!!
Wait please don't add anymore fish to your tank. You are severely overstocked a single molly cannot live in a 2 gallon so two DEFFINATLY can't. Mollys need to be in about a 20 gallon tank. I personally think glow fish would be fine in a 10 gallon but nothing less.

Did you not read any of the advice before the poster who said that mollys would be fine with them? We're all telling you you're overstocked and you shouldn't add fish and then one person chimmed in saying they've had mollys and glofish just fine (I'm sure in a MUCH bigger tank) so now you think it's okay. If you're just looking for a single person to agree then why post if you already have your mind set?

So to enforce my opinion you should NOT add anymore fish but you should instead start saving up for a bigger tank. You will end up stressing all the fish out by adding glofish and probably killing the whole tank.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
e_watson, they're going to get them when the new 20gal is cycled, please see the post directly above my one about glofish being danios, Post #4, I was going on this info, as the OP asked me to...

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wait please don't add anymore fish to your tank. You are severely overstocked a single molly cannot live in a 2 gallon so two DEFFINATLY can't. Mollys need to be in about a 20 gallon tank. I personally think glow fish would be fine in a 10 gallon but nothing less.

Did you not read any of the advice before the poster who said that mollys would be fine with them? We're all telling you you're overstocked and you shouldn't add fish and then one person chimmed in saying they've had mollys and glofish just fine (I'm sure in a MUCH bigger tank) so now you think it's okay. If you're just looking for a single person to agree then why post if you already have your mind set?

So to enforce my opinion you should NOT add anymore fish but you should instead start saving up for a bigger tank. You will end up stressing all the fish out by adding glofish and probably killing the whole tank.
Psstt...The stocking information is for the 20g that is cycling, not the 2g

OP
I

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Although it was mentioned before, my dear, dear Watson, I would like to reiterate.

Good news! I have a 20g tank!

I'm slightly insulted that you assume I have the impulses of a 10 year old when it comes to pet care.

If the threads are too much for you to read in their entirety, please abstain from adding your 2 cents. Because, clearly, you did not read all the posts yourself.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Easy image_image lol!!
It can be easy to miss a post, I just got so shocked when I thought I had misread about the tank size, I had to double check myself as there were accusations coming my way and I know for sure I wouldn't have suggested it (as you say yourself, you wouldn't have added them to the 2g anyway!!).

I hope this cycles soon, I really want some pics haha!

OP
I

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Easy image_image lol!!
It can be easy to miss a post, I just got so shocked when I thought I had misread about the tank size, I had to double check myself as there were accusations coming my way and I know for sure I wouldn't have suggested it (as you say yourself, you wouldn't have added them to the 2g anyway!!).

I hope this cycles soon, I really want some pics haha!
Sorry, I just felt attacked. I honestly feel bad as it is, because they've been through junk in that little tank.

I added the fish before the tank cycled. The female, Nan, was super stressed from being in such a small tank (the water levels were fine) =. It was recommended by someone on this site who kept mollies to move them both to the 20g in hopes to soothe her a little. I still continue to do 50% changes w/ Prime daily. I also have their old filter running along w/ the new filter, in hopes to hurry the cycle along. So far, there is no improvement with Nan. And I'm considering euthanizing her soon because I feel bad that she hasn't gotten better and it's been almost 2 weeks.

Once the tank cycles, I plan to get one or two more mollies (depending if this one makes it) along with a few glofish & glass shrimp... as well as some pictures!

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
honestly it was a mistake I completely read over the post I am truely sorry but lately I have just heard some of the strangest things at work and then I just saw 2gallons and nothing else and I'm so use to customers at working telling me I'm wrong.

Like for instance one lady came in wanting to buy fish. She told me she had a 5 gallon with a albino loach about 5-6 inches, a male betta, a 4 inch common pleco, a neon tetra, and a guppy. I ended up talking her into bringing the loach to us and I sware it was atleast 6 inches. Then she bought a platy, another guppy, and another neon. Oh how I wish I could turn down a sale ): but by policy I can't.

OP
I

image_image

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
honestly it was a mistake I completely read over the post I am truely sorry but lately I have just heard some of the strangest things at work and then I just saw 2gallons and nothing else and I'm so use to customers at working telling me I'm wrong.

Like for instance one lady came in wanting to buy fish. She told me she had a 5 gallon with a albino loach about 5-6 inches, a male betta, a 4 inch common pleco, a neon tetra, and a guppy. I ended up talking her into bringing the loach to us and I sware it was atleast 6 inches. Then she bought a platy, another guppy, and another neon. Oh how I wish I could turn down a sale ): but by policy I can't.
It's cool, no worries.

google "not always right" it's a website with crazy quotes about customers not always being right... It might make you feel better. (It made me feel better about stupid questions at my job)

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lol sounds like you both have experience of crazy customers, me too!! I'm gonna check out that site, should keep me occupied at work...

Stick with those daily water changes, running both filters is a great idea, and your stock list looks good. I just got me some cherry shrimp and they are so efficient at cleaning I got a shock when I thought an ornament dripping in algae (painstakingly left uncleaned pending their arrival) would provide them with a few days feed. It lasted a day. Just one!! I'm supplementing them with algae wafers, so be prepared for a sparkling tank with them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom