Mollies getting long poo after eating flakes

LaurenGM

Hi! Some of my fish (particularly two of my mollies) get long stringy poop after eating tropical flakes, but not after any other food that I’ve fed them (I’ve given them blanched peas, frozen brine shrimp, and blood worms). If you happen to know why this is happening I’d love advice. Also if it’s a problem with the flakes, what could I give them instead (as their main food source)?

PlantedCommunityTank132

Usually long poop strings mean that the water quality isn’t very good, but in your case it probably is something different. Not sure what though.

Flyfisha

Hi LaurenGM welcome to fishlore.

I have no mollies in my life.

All fish need a certain amount of fibre in their diet.
I suspect the flakes are low in fibre?

Adding fresh vegetables like zucchini to the diet will do no harm as long as any uneaten vegetable matter is removed within 24 hours (12 is better) .

You ask for a recommendation of a main food source.

I would suggest buying small quantities of 3 or 4 brands of good quality dry food and mixing up what they get as a main food each week.
With most omnivorous fish my understanding is 4% fibre is a minimum. Someone tell me I am wrong?

LaurenGM

Hi LaurenGM welcome to fishlore.

I have no mollies in my life.

All fish need a certain amount of fibre in their diet.
I suspect the flakes are low in fibre?

Adding fresh vegetables like zucchini to the diet will do no harm as long as any uneaten vegetable matter is removed within 24 hours (12 is better) .

You ask for a recommendation of a main food source.

I would suggest buying small quantities of 3 or 4 brands of good quality dry food and mixing up what they get as a main food each week.
With most omnivorous fish my understanding is 4% fibre is a minimum. Someone tell me I am wrong?
Thank you! The flakes have 4.0% crude fiber. I will get them some fresh veggies and some different dry foods.
Usually long poop strings mean that the water quality isn’t very good, but in your case it probably is something different. Not sure what though.
Thank you! Yeah, the water quality is all good. I’ve been testing it regularly. I found out they probably just need multiple kinds of foods.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
20 Gallon Tank Fish won't eat flakes
Replies
Views
Fish5234
Replies
Views
Leannee
  • Question
Replies
Views