Mollies gender?

Dantastico

Good morning everybody, I hope you’re all staying safe!

I’ve recently (about 4 months ago now) set up my first aquarium for about 20 years. I have some cherry barbs, zebra danios and mollies with one remaining otto as well.
All I was wondering is if somebody could help me sex my mollies (and maybe what sort they are). I think from what I have grasped online, it looks like the shop gave me one male and five females, but I’d just like to see if that’s right. In fact, if that is the case, should I get another male?

This is all dependent on whether I can work out how to add photos of course (it looks like it’s worked ). I couldn’t get a decent picture of the sixth one, so I’ll try again in a bit.

Desi

I’d say the second picture is a male and the rest are female.

Dantastico

Thank you, that’s what I was thinking

That’s an ok ratio isn’t it?

So are they all just normal mollies? The Male one and one of the orange/white ones have very different tails to the others.

Desi

Yup that’s a good ratio. You want at least three females to every male. The second and third picture are lyretail mollies.

emeraldking

All are female with the exception of the top molly in picture 2.

Dantastico

So from what I’ve been reading, as the male is a Lyretail, Im pretty unlikely to end up with lots of tiny Mollies then?

emeraldking

Dantastico said:
So from what I’ve been reading, as the male is a Lyretail, Im pretty unlikely to end up with lots of tiny Mollies then?
You could say that...

MomOfLiveBearers

I agree with the others. I would leave your ratio as is. Unless you have a gigantic tank and have room for more mollies. Suggested ratio is 3-4 females to every male. Though sometimes there can be exceptions. But mollies require quite a bit of room to be happy. I have 6 mollies in a 65 gallon and wouldn't add anymore unless I had a larger tank.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom