Mollies and Swordtails

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by reds, Jul 12, 2015.

1. redsValued MemberMember

Can a male mollie and swordtail be put together? I love the colors and shapes of these fish but don't have a lot of room for babies, I understand that they breed like crazy. Will the two fish fight each other? Or can they get along together. I have a cycled 25 gallon long tank and a cycled 30 gallon tall tank. Which of these tanks would be best for them?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

They should be fine together, and I would probably go with the 30g personally. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    r

redsValued MemberMember

Right now in the 30 gallon I already have 5 cherry barbs and 4 Rummynose and 1 mollie. In the 25 gallon I have 5 zebra danios and 3 glo danios and 7 neon tetras. Is there enough room in the 30 gallon tank for the swordtail?

4. Bijou88

I'd say you have plenty of room. You should up your rummynoses and barbs to schools of 6 each too. It's not completely accurate but out of curiosity I put this in to aqadvisor and it says with schools of 6 of the barbs and tetras, 1 molly and 1 male swordtail you're like, 45% stocked.  

5. OP
    OP
    r

redsValued MemberMember

OK thanks a lot. Just out of curiosity would anyone know what fish would go well with my danios and neons? Preferably peaceful and some color. I also have a clown pleco with the danios too.

6. OP
    OP
    r

redsValued MemberMember

One more question, about the cherry barbs if I add 1 more to bring it up to 6, should I get a male or female? Right now I have 2 male and 3 females.

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I would get a female cherry barb.
    And yeah, I would put the swordtail in the 30.

8. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I would add another male Cherry barb. Three males will spend most of their time competing with one another and will not harass the females nearly as much. Having three males gives the dominant male two targets instead of one that he can concentrate on. This is common among many Barb species. I usually bred Cherries with three males and two females, but that was only in the 10 gallon spawning tank. Schools of 8-10 were kept in a 30 gallon "conditioning community".

And yes, this is the tank the Swordtail should go into, both for size and for his likely aggression level with neons and danios.

9. Anders247

Hmm, interesting. I said another female because there would be one more to spread it out rather than them picking on three......

10. Bijou88

I also say female, it does seem like it would be better to spread it out. Since this is a community tank and not for breeding it seems like the existing females would appreciate having a lighter load as it were.

11. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Cherry males aren't that aggressive with the females. Most of their display activity is for the other males. This is true for many fish. I know the common thought is to add females to spread the aggression, but it does not always work that way for some species.

Cherries were one of the first barbs I bred. I tried using a pair; the male ignored the female. With two pair, the dominant male was too busy chasing the other to even bother with the females. As a reverse trio, two males were too much for a single female. But a 3:2 male weighted school, two males would go off and display at one another, and the third male would pick one of the girls and they'd slide off to the Java Moss and lay a few eggs. Then that male might get into the fray, and another male gets his chance to sneak off. The behavior is much more complicated than would be thought, given how common the species is. Commercially, they just put big schools over a spawning grate or moss for a couple of days, then remove them and just wait for the thousands of eggs to hatch. Or throw them into a pond and harvest fish a few weeks later.

For a community tank, a 3:3 school will not have a lot of female chasing. Personally I'd up the group to about 10, but that's the way I do things. The bigger the group, the more interesting the behavior.

12. Anders247

Thank you for that info.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice