Mollies And Platies And Cories Oh My!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by SkookulBob, Apr 22, 2017.

1. SkookulBobValued MemberMember

Soooooo...not knowing any better, I find myself with a 10 US gallon tank with:

3 Mollies
    2 Platies
    2 Cories

How bad is it?

My biofilter nitrifies like gangbusters, and my water changes are 50% weekly. The inhabitants seem happy and healthy. Thanks in advance for thoughts. Over long term, the plan is to move away from the live bearers.

2. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

What type of mollies are they? Generally speaking you're going to want a 29 gallon for mollies; they're big waste producers and some get rather large.

Corydoras are best in shoals of 6+ and need a 20 gallon minimum.

Your platys will be fine in the 10 gallon. You can have around three platys and a couple of shrimp in a 10 gallon, but that's the max. Have plans for the fry if you have a female/male combo.

3. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Agree with above!

Long term the cories and the mollies need to be rehomed!

4. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

First, mollies need a minimum of 29 gallons. They have a big bioload and need a lot of space to swim.

Second, cories need a minimum of 20 gallons and need to be in a school of 6+. What type of cories?

You can leave the platy in the 10 gallon and just like Bruxes and Bubbles said, you can make it a shrimp tank. Then, you can move the mollies and cories to a 29+ gallon tank or sell it off.

5. SkookulBobValued MemberMember

Thanks! I understand Mollies are messy, but I swear to you my N-cycle is picking up everything they put down. Unfortunately I don't know the breed. I believe they may be lyre tails?

Have since seen info on cories saying 3 would be sufficient?

Eventually I will make a bid for larger tank, and my spouse will hopefully acquiesce. In the meantime....

6. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Explain to her the plight of your fish and maybe she will understand that they need a bigger home. Mollies need a lot of room, they love to swim around. Cories need to have groups of 6+. The platies would be fine in a 10gal. Just because you and your tank can handle the load doesn't mean that it should. I could fit nicely into a walk in closet, doesn't mean I'd want to live there all my life :)

7. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Lyretails get 5 inches

Sadly their are lots of misinformation out there in the aquarium hobby, normally the care for fish! One skill that you will learn and need to have in the aquarium hobby is knowing which information is right and which websites to trust and not to trust. For starters, I suggest you look at Seriously Fish and Planet Catfish when looking up information about different fish. There are many other websites out there that are more specific for different types of fish or even general.

8. SkookulBobValued MemberMember

Thank you all--this is helpful; look forward to a bigger tank!

9. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Lyretails should be around 3-4 inches, not 5, they are a variant of sphenops. But yeah they need a 29 min.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice