mollies and danios eating sinking pellets

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Suave, Apr 19, 2010.

1. SuaveValued MemberMember

I feed my mollies and danios flake food at the top of the tank at the same time that I drop in some sinking pellets for my cories and Pleco. after they finishthe flake food the dive to the bottom to eat the pellets. this is leaving no food for the cories and my pleco. the mollies and danios even push the pleco out of the way and he is twice their size! (or almost so)

what should I do?

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

You could try feeding the mollies and danios first, then after they've eaten you can turn out the lights and drop the pellets.

3. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

My Mollies love to eat algae wafers with my Pleco. You might try a couple of wafers, because it is bigger and will sink to the bottom. Then your Pleco should sit on top of it and munch until he's full. At least, that's what mine does. Sometimes he will share it with the Mollies but most of the time, he hogs the whole thing.

4. SuaveValued MemberMember

my mollies will definitely push my cories out of the way and even try to push my pleco away, and they often succeed.

I guess i will try turning the lights off when I feed them. are plecos and cories nocturnal??

5. wajidshahNew MemberMember

6. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

That's correct. What do you mean by this though?

7. Betta_dudeValued MemberMember

What you should do is drop half a pellet or algea wafer as a decoy then, when the mollies and danios start to eat it feed the cories and pleco. Thats what I did, but I had a mini feeding frenzy. Everything in my tank would eat the algea wafer, from danio to tiger barbs.

8. SuaveValued MemberMember

its not necessarily easy as that though.. i have a 125g tank that is roughly 6ft long. so not ALL the fish go after a single pellet

9. KunsthureWell Known MemberMember

I have a similar situation in my 37g and I tried turning out all the lights in the room and the tank and dropping in the food but the pirhana, I mean gold barbs, still found it. I might try the distraction technique, though I doubt it'll work on my gold barbs.

-Lisa

10. mattmf1Valued MemberMember

i have the same problem with my mollies and barbs(they would eat until they explode, i am sure of it). i will feed them a good amount of flake, and the corries also go after them. i have a good current in the tank to a pinch spreads over the whole tank. then i will take a few algea wafers and break them into quarters(roughly) and spread them out for the snails. this way a snail can climb on to the wafer(like a pleco would) and there will be a few more wafers around the tank. this way i don't have to add too many wafers and i get a good result.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice