MOLLIE questions... help!

stevieg20

Reaction score
Alright.. 20 gallons, cycled, ammonia - 0 nitrItes - 0 nitrAtes - 10-20 (about 15)... ph is a little high about 7.5-8. Now, the questions. One. I have one Mollie (Dalmatian.. or marble, not sure) that hangs out by the heater the temp in the tank is about 78-80. His mouth seems to be deteriorating (spell check). Like the upper lip is gone almost, but not quite... It just looks that way. Anyway, could it be an illness or something else. She (or he, I'm pretty sure its a chick, the analfin is small, but not anything like the other males) pecks at the heater a lot, as if shes eating something off there... but there's nothing there?

Two. There are two males, one is all black, and the other one is a reddish/blackish leopard one. The black one is definitely more dominant and tends to pick on the other male, even though they're both the same size. The leopard one tends to hang out at the bottom of the tank, as if he's in a daze or something.. Disease, illness? I'm not sure..

Three. I have three females, including the Dalmatian one. One is yellow/white and black flaked and the other one is a sunset. The Sunset and Yellow/White one are both very fat, but don't seem to want to have the fry? They've been this way for a VERY long time (two weeks or more) are they bloated, or very pregnant? I've tried to get them to have the babies, increasing the temp 2 degrees, changing water daily, etc.... Nothing.

So, there you have it.. My mollies are great, but very baffling. ANY help would be appreciated.

THANKS,
Steve

OP
S

stevieg20

Reaction score
Sorry, those were really big :-\... Here are some smaller ones of the same pictures.

LarryDavid

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had this exact problem with my balloon mollies, sorry but they are not pregnent its a disease I don't kno wht its called but its as though there lips are rotting right?
Unfortunately mine died and effect my other mollies so I don't know what to reccomened? Maybe if you have a quarintine tank try that?

Sorry to tell you this and I'm sorry I don't know the solution

I hope it works out and keep us informed of their progress

carrie1012

Reaction score
can somebody please help. what does a pregnant molly look like. I have two marbled mollies that look huge, they look like their pregnant and Ive had them for about a month and a half and no babies. I'm thinking maybe their just fat. I need a picture of a pregnant one

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just read something interesting in my book. There is a certain disease that the victI'm gets its chest all swolen and gets fatter until it dies.

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, the one I'm talking about is a little different. I'll post about it later after I read about it.

Richard

Well Known
Reaction score
Based on your pix and what I've seen with my Mollies, your sunset looks pregnant..also, pregnant Mollies seem to eat more than usual causing the stomach to swell to the point where you think they're about to drop their fry, so I wouldn't worry too much about her.. the Dalmatian pic is not close enough for me to tell if she's pregnant, but if she's sporting a swollen stomach, then you can probably expect some fry from her as well.. any male Mollies with a swollen stomach could be because of their eating habits, Mollies are really quite greedy, so should you have such a problem, check to see if they're more swollen after feeding time, and if the stomach goes back down.. as for the Molly with the mouth problem, you may want to quarantine him in case it's Mouth-Fungus he has, and start treating him a.s.a.p. with drugs specifically for Mouth-Fungus, which is very different to normal fungus and so won't respond to normal fungus treatments.. good luck dude.

New Threads