Mollie Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Liz5341, May 26, 2019.

1. Liz5341

Liz5341New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    I read all the videos and read everything I could and thought I had identified this correctly as being a pregnant Molly purchased an isolation tank put her in there last night, nothing happened I think I'm seeing evidence of eyes and what I've read said , as soon as I saw those probably ought to keep her in a isolation tank but next day nothing happened I'm going to post some pictures tell me what you think. I went ahead and took her out because it didn't appear that anything was going to happen right now 20190526_105548.

2. Crazycoryfishlady

CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,223
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You do know that she is a ballon molly yes? And that they're naturally quite plump like they're about to explode full of fry?
    Not everyone does so sorry if that seems dumb. Lol

I'm not totally sure if she's pregnant or not as I have trouble telling with balloon mollies.
    But supposedly if you use a red lazer pointer and point it only at her tail and belly, you should be able to sort of see babies in her.
    Her belly should get bigger and darker near her analfin, and it should get sort of square as well.

How big is your isolation tank? Sometimes fish refuse to give birth in new tanks because they feel uncomfortable.

3. OP
    OP
    Liz5341

Liz5341New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yes I do know she's a balloon Molly. I do know that when I first got her she did not have those little black dots that I can clearly see in her abdomen now, I did look for the black mark towards the analfin and thought I saw it but now I'm not sure but she has a lot of little black dots in her tummy that were not there 2 weeks ago. We breeder tank is standard size it's about a 7 by 5 by 6

this might be a better picture of what 20190526_120958.

Here is another pic 20190526_121852.

4. shrimpforever777

shrimpforever777Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +79
    Experience:
    Just started
    Well, I have zero experience with balloon Mollies but I do know that plain old mollies breed like rabbits! So I would say that she is probably pregnant. If she isn't it might be possible that she is sick, although signs point to pregnant! Hahahaahah

5. trahana

trahanaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yeah, if its a girl molly, and if she's lived with male mollies in the last month, then 99% chance she is preggers.
    Also, make sure she has some plants in her tank, they help fish feel more comfortable. Don't expect a fish to have babies unless they feel at home. (like going to a hospital and being expected to give birth in a room with no furniture)

6. Crazycoryfishlady

CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,223
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I wouldn't say 99% chance.
    Male mollies first have to be able to even get the job done for her to be pregnant. I have a silver molly and multiple other mollies including a handful of males, and none of my mollies have gotten pregnant or had any fry since their first set after purchase.
    It's not because I don't see the fry, it's because males are often incompetent.
    But of course it helps when there are 20 males and 10 females in a 15 gallon tank at a fish store.

The fish would have been 1-3 weeks pregnant when this post was made, so if she was and is pregnant, she would have given birth already, or within the next week/this week, as live bearers only carry fry for just under a month, and will abort fry or force them out if in stressful situations with a lack of hiding spaces.
    It might take a bit longer than if she were comfortable, but she either absorbs them or gives birth. There's no indefinite holding.

If she hasn't given birth yet, and doesn't have a very dark spot where her analfin meets her opening, then she likely isn't pregnant.

Even my guppies aren't 90% sure pregnant after being with one or multiple males for a few days.
    The female has to allow mating to take place or be forced into a corner (easier to do when overstocked)

7. Daisy7216

Daisy7216New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    From the photos, she really doesnt look like she is about to pop. If she does, she will probably be much happier having her babies in her home, as others have said. I have saved babies from my main tank with no problem, and the mothers seem to be much happier this way. Putting them in a small tank for her to drop them, is almost certain death for most of those babies, both my female balloons were relentless at eating there babies the moment they saw them. Also, right before she is about to give birth you will see her canal open, and it gets reallyyy wide. Idk if this is what people refer to when they talk about the gravid spot, as I have never seen one myself but I have for sure seen the canals open, and you know that the birth isnt far from that point, if you really do feel the need to move her I wouldnt do it until her canal has opened for hopefully the least amount of stress possible. Hope I could help!

8. trahana

trahanaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Huh, maybe my live bearers where just way to virile. Because man, even when I had four female mollies one just Had to decide to become male and then everyone was preggers. I also fed frozen food nd live tubilfex often, so the high quality food probably helped.