mollie gender differences

1. JerBear Initiate Member

just a quick question. I have 2 mollies and i didn't know the genders of them...well we found out that one is male and one is female because we just found 5 babies. I'd like to know which one is the male and which one is the female. can anyone tell me how to tell the difference??
    thanks!

2. Jason Well Known Member Member

Ok now first the male will have a thing called a gonopodium which is located next to the anal fins which looks like a tube. The females will not have this and will just have the anal fins. Also your female could have been pregnant from when you bought her as they can store the sperm for like 3-4 batches of fry. ;)
    Good luck raising them

3. JerBear Initiate Member

thanks so much for the info. i also heard that mollies and guppies can inter breed...if that's the case i may have a mollie/guppie mix because i have 1 female guppy in the tank as well. i'll see what i can figure out for the mollies and i may have more questions. i appreciate the info about the mollies :)

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Guppies and mollies won't interbreed. Platys/swordtails/mollies will though.
    Carol

5. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Hey, totally off the subject, there's a guy at my school in a lot of my classes who people sometimes call JerBear to give him a hard time...like, could I know you? That would be kinda funny if I did...

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

By the way, I go to VMS.

7. vin Well Known Member Member

Male mollies have a much larger dorsal fin and pointed anal fins. The female's anal fins are rounded.

8. mistycheri Member Member

Can anyone tell me why one of my male guppies keeps chasing one of my mollies? The guppy is alot smaller than the molly, and it's only chasing the yellow/gold molly, I think its a female. The guppy doesn't chase the other two black mollies.

9. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe Guppies and Mollies can interbreed.

10. mistycheri Member Member

hmmm, that should make some interesting babies. The male guppy is very colorful, he changes color, sometimes he looks blueish, sometimes light orange, sometimes even yellow.

11. JerBear Initiate Member

Hey VMS, i don't think that i'm the guy in your class. I don't go to school and i'm a girl :) sorry!

as for the my mollies i think i figured out which one was the female, i have a couple more questions. are mollies able to breed with guppies?? i'm kinda confused on this subject. my mollie chases my female guppie as well...

also, how long should wait to release my mollie babies?? we tried to release them the other day but all the adult fish started chaseing them like they were flakes of food, so we put them back in the divider. how long is long enough??

12. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, sorry, I didn't look at your gender. :-[ :p
    I'm not sure if Guppies and Mollies can breed or not.
    You can release the fry as soon as they are too big to fit in anyone's mouth--probably 3/4 inch.

13. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

hee hee...me neither...lol

14. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

hehe we make a great pair ;D ;D (or shall I say a bad pair? ;D)
    ;D ::) :p :D

15. armadillo Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, just because one of them gave birth does not mean that the father is the tankmate, so for sure at least one of them is a female, but it could well be that the other one is too. They can store their fertilized eggs and not go into gestation for a while. Basically, they can delay the birth, and even give birth at frequent interval, from the same fertilised batch. They decide to drop when the conditions are right. So it could well be that the conditions at the LFS were not good, and that now they're happily settled, off they go.