Moldy Wood

1. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

There’s part of the wood where water isn’t touching it. Is this dangerous? Do I just wipe it off? Image1527205623.468566.jpg Image1527205641.539721.jpg

2. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant Pepper Well Known Member Member

What kind of wood is it? I don't think it should be molding. If it was soft wood or something you got from outside, it could be rotting.

3. wodesorel

wodesorel Valued Member Member

Any of the driftwoods will mold over if left above the water line in humid conditions. I was soaking a few buckets of new purchased wood (including mopani) and had forgotten about them, and the tips sticking out looked the same.

I boiled mine cleaned and made sure they were completely submerged after. It is mold so it could be bad for you, not sure it would impact the fish any.

Can you trim it down to the water line? If you like the look of it above water and aren't worried about it, you may just need to wait out the mold. At some point it should run out of food and die off.

4. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

It’s fungus. It’s perfectly fine but I would wipe it off any time you see it and it will eventually stop. It grows underwater as well, typically where the wood has been cut.

5. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

I don’t know if I’ll be able to trim it or not because it’s a large piece of wood and I attached plants and such to it already.

6. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

Thanks I’ll wipe it off now!