Mold on my wood lid, how to remove and prevent?

1. stalefish83

stalefish83 Valued Member Member

I have a wood lid with a built in lights and it has all kinds of mold in it. How to I remove the mold and prevent it from coming back safely? I am afraid of releasing mold spores if I try to scrub it off, but I don't know if just spraying it with either a bleach solution or actual mold killer will be enough. Of course it won't ever come into contact with the water itself, but I'm still concerned about the safety of the fish. What's a safe way to do this?

Thanks!!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 Well Known Member Member

You should probably remove the hood and use some kind of mold killer on it (like "Kilz" paint), then you'll want to make sure you seal it very well with a couple coats of lacquer.

3. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

Tea tree oil is a natural fungicide that works to kill and prevent mold. It should be safe to use on the lid since it is actually the active ingredient in some fish medicine. Long term the wood should really be sealed since it is exposed to that much moisture. If you get rid of the mold and allow the wood to dry out, you can seal it as Shelley recommended.

4. B

Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

Isn't it bad if water condenses on it from evaporation and drips back into the tank since its a wood lid that could be made from treated or lacquered wood? If I were you id take the wood out. bleach the bottom or replace it if the warping has done any harm then get a Lexan/plastic sheet and cut it to size and stick it to the bottom. Or if possible get a glass or lexan lid to the tank cut to fit. Always keep in mind that water can run out of the tank from evaporation if the lid is not inside the inner lip of the tank. its hard for me to say with out pictures. Also if you seal the tank fully with a lid have some holes for air to be pushed out when the airstones are going so the air above the water is fresh.

EDIT: remember to kill the mold before you touch it. Then you can scrape it or pressure wash it if that's an option for you.

5. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I've always used a bleach water solution to remove black/brown mold build up on canopies. I spray and allow for the solution to work 10 - 15 minutes, respray and wipe away with a clean cotton towel. Any spraying is done away from the tank.

6. OP
    OP
    stalefish83

Thank you all for the responses! Here's the lid:

[​IMG]CAM01578 by stalefish83, on Flickr
    [​IMG]CAM01579 by stalefish83, on Flickr
    [​IMG]CAM01580 by stalefish83, on Flickr

It sits on the top of the tank, and is open in the back. It has that hold on the one side for added ventilation, but it's only on one side.

7. OP
    OP
    stalefish83

I have sprayed the whole inside (minus the lights, of course) with this:
    [​IMG]CAM01581 by stalefish83, on Flickr
    [​IMG]CAM01582 by stalefish83, on Flickr

and I'm going to let it sit in the sun and dry, then wipe it down and probably spray, let dry, wipe again then treat the wood with this:
    [​IMG]CAM01583 by stalefish83, on Flickr

I already had all of this on-hand so hopefully it'll be OK, but I certainly welcome any input if this isn't a good idea (maybe the laquer is no good...?)

Thanks again!

8. OP
    OP
    stalefish83

9. M

Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

Papajin has a lid very similar to that one, and it's been on the tank for 17 to 18 years without any type of mold.

The wood is toast from the looks of it. Id not add any chemicals... replace the damaged wood with new or go with a glass lid.