Mold In Mealworms

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by CatPlaysWithPets, Apr 12, 2017.

1. CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Hey guys. So, I feed my leopard gecko mainly mealworms and crickets once a week, and superworms once a week. But I keep the mealworms in a container in the fridge when they're not being fed. I was using oatmeal with pieces of carrot, then it started molding. So I changed the oatmeal for oat bran and carrots. I'm still experiencing molding!! Help please!!

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Hello!

Make sure that the container isn't damp at all (I say this because cooked bran/oatmeal and carrot do have moisture to them), and to remove any dead ones. You may actually have to change the container because the molding bacteria may still exist in the container or "on" the mealworms that's infecting the new food. Also, you might also want to try switching the food every 2-3 days. They can get moldy pretty quickly anyhow in an environment we're there's lots of poop and pee to speed up the molding process

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. OP
    OP
    C

CatPlaysWithPetsValued MemberMember

Alright thanks. I buy mealworms by 100 every time I run out. So that's a lot to pick out.

4. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Oh yup. With that many at one time (especially if he's eating a couple a day) and less than ideal living conditions it'll happen. Maybe try to buy in lesser quantities if you can? A friend of mine had to do that because the food would mold and soil so fast and end up "killing" most of his worms and making it a huge pain to pick out dead and alive ones, keep everything clean, etc

5. OP
    OP
    C

Ok. The reason is a I feed her about 10 mealworms on "mealworm day." Which is more often than crickets and supers

6. OldFort Exotics

OldFort ExoticsValued MemberMember

I would get a different container, add new oatmeal, and a carrot. Then I would pick out the worms by hand and put them in the new container. The risk of bringing any of the mold will go down but it still might come over.

I will also say with good air flow mine rarely mold, I keep the lids off my containers because humidity will build up quick from carrots and other veggies. But I don't keep my meal worms in the fridge like you are, I keep them at room temp so they are always eating and growing. Some turn to beetles but I don't care as I allow them to breed so I don't buy them.

7. OP
    OP
    C

I probably keep them in a smaller container than you do. And it's mainly because my father doesn't think I need that much space for them and doesn't like the idea of beetles in the house. Whatever.

8. OldFort Exotics

I can understand his point, I wasn't happy with the idea of beetles at first but after seeing how it all works I don't mind. Plus the cost savings is nice. We did try the dubias but I couldn't handle the "roaches" in the house so they had to go. Super worms don't breed as easy but working on getting them to start producing, but if he doesn't like meal worm beetles he really won't like the superworms.

I use a plastic 6qt shoe box for meal worms but I just keep my supers in the plastic cup they come in because I go thru a cup in 2 weeks.

9. OP
    OP
    C

How many mealies do you keep in the 6 quart

10. OldFort Exotics

I allow the beetles to breed in oatmeal for 3 weeks then put all the oatmeal in a 6qt box, after 6-7 weeks you will have hundreds if not thousands. I keep 4 boxes going at one time so I can give them time to grow out. But I don't feed as many meal worms anymore so I could drop back to 2 or 1.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice