Mold/fungus growing under filter hood?

Grackl3

a white fungus has grown under the filter hood. it seems a brighter white than mold I've seen before.

I am not sure what to do? it seems to have corrupted all filter and bio cartridges.

its just like a standard tetra fin type filter that houses 2 replacable filters and 2 bio cartridges that you dont replace.

Im worried that cleaning everything may cause a shock in my tank.

the tank has been in cycle for 7 months. also its in need of a clean itself, I noticed this in the middle of ritual maintenence, and decided not to clean the tank in case having extra bacteria would be beneficial

StarGirl

Do you have a photo of the mold? Is it maybe calcium build up, or is it soft?

Fishfriendof315

Does it look like this?
0320211236a~2.jpg

0320211237~2.jpg

Kribensis27

Sounds harmless, but a picture would definitely help.

Grackl3

Fishfriendof315 said:
Does it look like this?
0320211236a~2.jpg

0320211237~2.jpg
none of it is in the tank, just the filter
StarGirl said:
Do you have a photo of the mold? Is it maybe calcium build up, or is it soft?
it looks fluffy. very used to what hard water build up looks like and this looks different

Fishfriendof315

Thats mildew

Grackl3

yah, makes sense. how should I go about helping my tank? how dangerous is it?

Fishfriendof315

Youre ambient air is already saturated so it cant absorb the evaporation. So as it comes up out the filter and flows over, the tiny molecules that arent evaporating are depositing feeding a mildew growth. Also when you get mildew like that it more than likely came from another source inside youre home

Grackl3

Kribensis27 said:
Sounds harmless, but a picture would definitely help.
Fishfriendof315 said:
Youre ambient air is already saturated so it cant absorb the evaporation
what do you mean? if youre talking about the humidity in my house it leabs towards dry

StarGirl

Grackl3 said:
yah, makes sense. how should I go about helping my tank? how dangerous is it?
I would just rinse it off with tank water. It may never come back, it may stay....hard to tell. I would not think it is dangerous.

Grackl3

StarGirl said:
I would just rinse it off with tank water. It may never come back, it may stay....hard to tell. I would not think it is dangerous.
okay thank you

Fishfriendof315

Grackl3 said:
what do you mean? if youre talking about the humidity in my house it leabs towards dry
Im sorry shouldve asked if you have a canopy and or filter cover. Yeah I was more or less going towards the amount of exchange. Any barrier does that also

Grackl3

Fishfriendof315 said:
Im sorry shouldve asked if you have a canopy and or filter cover. Yeah I was more or less going towards the amount of exchange. Any barrier does that also
ah yah, it has a cover

Fishfriendof315

Gonna sound crazy. Try running it without

Grackl3

Fishfriendof315 said:
Gonna sound crazy. Try running it without
running it without the hood?

Fishfriendof315

Nope just without the Cover on filter. Canopy will cut down on overall aquarium evaporation so leave that. The cover off they filter will let the gases exchange better with just minimal evap.
And a vinager water mix will kill the residue. Just make sure you dont clean it in aquarium.

Grackl3

Fishfriendof315 said:
Nope just without the Cover on filter. Canopy will cut down on overall aquarium evaporation so leave that. The cover off they filter will let the gases exchange better with just minimal evap.
And a vinager water mix will kill the residue. Just make sure you dont clean it in aquarium.
okay thank you!

Fishfriendof315

And a vinager water mix will kill the residue. Just make sure you dont clean it running in aquarium. It'll throw your ph way off and a little too much will start dropping fish.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom