Moisture inside heater

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by foresthall, Jun 6, 2016.

1. foresthall

foresthallValued MemberMember

While doing tank maintenance today, I noticed there was a small amount of moisture inside my submersible heater. I just tried contacting Aqueon but they are closed for the day. My tank is 20 gallons and this heater is a 100w. I have a spare preset 50w heater. Would that work in the meantime or will the heater be safe for a few days while I wait to get a replacement one?

2. Xander

XanderWell Known MemberMember

You generally don't want to mess with the risk of electric shock, or god forbid it fails on and you find a batch of aquarium soup. I would get that thing out of there ASAP.

The 50W will have to work overtime, unless the room's temperature isn't all too cold right now, but it will do in a pinch.

3. OP
    OP
    foresthall

foresthallValued MemberMember

That's what I thought. I just got a reply back from Aqueon and they said its normal for condensation to occur just above the coils because they are manufactured in a country that gets a lot of humidity and it gets trapped in the heater. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't think it's ever happened before and it's only 5 months old. It should be under warranty but they keep telling me it's normal

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice