"Mods," or "staff"?

wisecrackerz

Recently there's been a lot of reference to the moderators as "staff," implying that they're employees, or compensated in some way for the work they do to maintain our community.

I've been out of the loop for a long time, and it seems like a lot has changed; maybe this has, too, as surprising as that would be. Are mods paid now, or is all this still done on a purely volunteer basis?

Last I checked, the negligible revenue generated by the ads all went to pay Amazon for our hosting fees, without which, this site would cease to exist.

Feohw

Coradee mentioned yesterday that they aren't paid.

jake37

Staff aren't always paid - it is more of a collection of people that run a place - at least where I live that is how we use the term. I never really associated staff with $$ but rather with ownership/overlord. I guess it is a vocabulary thing where different places take words differently.

wisecrackerz said:
Recently there's been a lot of reference to the moderators as "staff," implying that they're employees, or compensated in some way for the work they do to maintain our community.

I've been out of the loop for a long time, and it seems like a lot has changed; maybe this has, too, as surprising as that would be. Are mods paid now, or is all this still done on a purely volunteer basis?

Last I checked, the negligible revenue generated by the ads all went to pay Amazon for our hosting fees, without which, this site would cease to exist.

wisecrackerz

Thanks for the info, friends! Glad to hear some things haven't changed.

Just making sure I wasn't being overly harsh in my judgement of someone who was throwing around language about "greed," and mods "refusing" to address problems.

Coradee

Feohw said:
Coradee mentioned yesterday that they aren't paid.
Hi, yes that's correct the mod team aren’t paid we’re all here voluntarily

wisecrackerz

Coradee said:
That's what I had thought; that's how it was back in the day, and it seemed unlikely that that had changed.

Sounds like my judgement of a particular member's misleading language was spot-on.

smee82

Coradee said:
Well your not paid but tou do have access to all the other extras like the fish lore yacht amd vampire bettas that we plebs don't have.

Also seriously even if they were paid they wouldn't be paid enough.

Coradee

I’m sure Mike’s hidden the keys, I’ve looked everywhere for them!

smee82

Not naming any names but are you sure someone else hasnt hidden the keys to make sure its free for their honeymoon or forgotten to return them after the fact.

And I would like everyone to notice there was no denial to the existence of vampire bettas which by omission means they really do exist.

Coradee

Hmmm I did wonder about that, highly coincidental

Tez

wisecrackerz said:
Thanks for the info, friends! Glad to hear some things haven't changed
I used to mod a Lupus and sjogrens's site a few years back now for Ben's friend in the USA but stopped doing it because my own health got to much and no way are mods or staff paid, it's voluntary and they work out the best hours that suits them to work the forum, unless they want to pop on otherwise.
It's quite a job tracking discussions and not letting them get to personal with members without trying to course offense besides.

jdhef

Hmmm...@Coradee, you're not getting paid?

Coradee

Haha I knew it!! I knew I was missing out on something, you all had nice tans after sunning yourselves on the yacht!

david1978

I can't wait till this summers cruise on the yacht for us legends. I enjoyed last years so much. mattgirl can go this year.

jdhef

Coradee said:
Haha I knew it!! I knew I was missing out on something, you all had nice tans after sunning yourselves on the yacht!
yes and no tan lines

Addictedtobettas

Coradee said:
Then.. thank you, and I’m sorry!!

H Farnsworth

I love the trolly mod responses. You are clearly my people.

Lucy

Coradee said:
we’re all here voluntarily
That's what Mike wants us to believe. He has lured us with the yacht, private island and duck feather capes so the insults glide off our backs like water. We are blinded by the perks.
......Hearing the cords of Hotel California....

jake37

Just remember in this day and age to keep 6 ft apart on that yact.

Lucy said:
That's what Mike wants us to believe. He has lured us with the yacht, private island and duck feather capes so the insults glide off our backs like water. We are blinded by the perks.
......Hearing the cords of Hotel California....

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom