Modifying/Making your own equipment

Pinina
I only started this hobby a few months back but I soon realized that I had to make my own equipment or modify others to make them work for me (examples, media filter and water polishing out of disposable water bottles, a vacuum out of a small pump, and add a collecting bag to an existing electric vacuum I had).
I would like to know if others had to do the same and what works.

LHAquatics
I cut my filter in half and glued it to the output of a Marineland penguin filter to slow the flow down

Pinina
Cory04 said:
I cut my filter in half and glued it to the output of a Marineland penguin filter to slow the flow down
Do you have a picture? I am struggling with one of mine which flow cannot be controled and when I clean it, it upsets Blues Willis (one of my Beta's).

Betta'sAnonymous
Pinina said:
Do you have a picture? I am struggling with one of mine which flow cannot be controled and when I clean it, it upsets Blues Willis (one of my Beta's).
I actually one time cut up a sponge into strips to shove up into the intake tube of an HOB to slow the flow down for a betta. Mixed results, almpst made it to slow! I know people have cut sections out of a water bottle and attached it to the outflow of the filter to baffle the flow.

Mike
Hi Pinina - we have a sub-forum for DIY (Do It Yourself) type things and you might find something useful in there: DIY - Do It Yourself Forum

Pinina
Sorry. I didn't know.
Thanks for the alert.

LHAquatics
I will try as soon as I can

ForceTen
I would like to find a way to use polishing cloth on the spillway of a AC 70.
If I sandwich it between the two sponges it works fantastic. But it clogs up pretty quick and I have to pull out the top sponge, remove it, clean it, replace it and put the sponge back in.

SotaAquatics
Hold on here. Your betta is named Blues Willis? I love it.

JettsPapa
I have a couple of hard plastic measuring cups that I drilled holes in the sides. I hang them over the side of the tank and pour into them when adding water to the tank. The water goes out the holes in the side, which disperses the flow enough to not disturb the substrate.

I also use them for feeding frozen food cubes. I drop a cube or two into the cup, and as they thaw I lift the cup an inch or so and let it back down. That forces some of the food particles out through the holes so the fish can get to them. This works much better than before, when I'd float the cube in the tank like the directions say, but they'd often fall down in the plants where most of the fish couldn't get to them. This way they can all get some.

LHAquatics
Pinina said:

Random Great Thread

Top Bottom