Modifying Hob Filters

DCL415

Hello,
I am tired of the cartridges of my Marina S15 HOB filter, it doesn't have enough room for bio filter media and having to change a cartridge every couple of weeks means reducing the bacteria colony of the tank. Also I think the surface area for bacteria to grow is very limited.
So I decided to modify the filter a little by changing the cartridges for Fluval Biomax and Aqua Clear 20 gallon foam.
So far I replaced one of the cartridges for 2 foams that I did a little slid on the side so the foam jams in the grooves for the cartridges and the bag of biomax where the pump intake water falls.
I plan to slowly change the other cartridges for more biomax, foam and filter floss
What is the experience people has with modifyinng their filters?
There are a couple of pictures of what I have done so far.

20171128_113917.jpg
20171128_113943.jpg

leftswerve

what is filtering the water before it hits the bio rings?

OnTheFly

It will work fine. I have modified a lot of HOBs. As long as the water passes through some form of biomedia and then floss of fine foam on the way out you'll be good.

DCL415

There is a sponge that covers the intake, it is a mid (not very compact sponge) That I am planning to replace with a Fluval Edge intake sponge that is more compact.

Julieow

I've modified both of mine. My Marineland Penguin Biowheel 350 I took the cartridges out and filled with sponges and my aquaclear 50 I have sponges and then a bag of bio rings on top. I'm also thinking about intake sponges, but I'm not sure yet.

Terabyte

I modifed my penguin 170 by taking out the insert that holds floss and from bottom to top put ceramic bio-media|carbon bag|floss|

JamieXPXP

ive done something similar to my filter. I removed the carbon and replaced it with the sponges for the aquaclear filters

leftswerve

There is a sponge that covers the intake, it is a mid (not very compact sponge) That I am planning to replace with a Fluval Edge intake sponge that is more compact.
Personally, I would put the rings further down the chain, less chance of clogging.

AllieSten

I would stack it with coarse sponge, fine sponge, filter floss, then ceramic rings. That will give you the best flow and filtration as the water goes through your media. You can also add a prefilter sponge onto your intake for even more surface area and mechanical filtration.

I have a couple of favorite videos I like to share that has to do with optimizing your filter. One has to do with canister filters, but still applies to filtration in general. I can post them if you want.

DCL415

Personally, I would put the rings further down the chain, less chance of clogging.
I have placed the Biorings there so the bacteria starts growing in it until I use it to replace a cartridge, I was thinking of adding a second bag and keep the 3rd in case I need to put carbon or any other chemical media.

I would stack it with coarse sponge, fine sponge, filter floss, then ceramic rings. That will give you the best flow and filtration as the water goes through your media. You can also add a prefilter sponge onto your intake for even more surface area and mechanical filtration.

I have a couple of favorite videos I like to share that has to do with optimizing your filter. One has to do with canister filters, but still applies to filtration in general. I can post them if you want.

It has a intake sponge already but I will replace it later on with one has less porosity.
Yes please post those videos, right now I am just trying different things because those cartridges are $7 each bag of 3.

pRoy33

I never used the cartridges on my aqueon hobs. I commandeered some of my wife's quilt batting (maybe that's what it is?!) then some blue filter pad and then bio-rings. Works great! Changed the batting out every other week, rinsed the blue filter pad, and only occasionally rinsed the biomax. Super easy and cheep!

AllieSten

Here are the videos. As far as biomedia, go onto eBay. I got a 6lb bag of ceramic rings for $15. Amazon is also a great resource. You can even go to the dollar store and buy the little plastic scrubbies and use them for media. Lots of options. As far as filter floss, use the pillow batting at Walmart, $2 for an entire bag of cotton. YouTube is your friend. Search tutorials on your exact filter. You will find tons of options.

purslanegarden

You don't have to replace the cartridges, you can just rinse them out in old tank water. Basically I bought a 6-pack of filter cartridges thinking I was saving money to buy in bulk, but then I read and found out that I don't need to toss them out (took out the charcoal after 1-2 months). As a result, I still have 5 cartridges unused after 1.5 years. Tank and fish are still doing OK.

Definitely saved money by just using the same cartridge for all this time!

bgclarke

One thing I've done on really small filter cartridges was to dump the carbon out and replace it with Seachem Matrix.

DCL415

I only have one cartridge left working in the tank, they are replaced with 3 aquaclear sponges and 1 fluval biomax. The tank has 5 zebra danios and never got a reading of ammonia or nitrites, so I am happy with that. I still have 2 bags of unopened cartridges

Letsfish

On my AC 70 I made a prefilter out of one of their sponges and it goes on the intake tube. I have a sponge, thin layer of floss than Matrix in the basket,it works out great for me in my 29G.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
5 Gallon Tank Filter media question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Turtledrew15
Replies
Views
NavyChief20