Modifying an AC HOB filter into a mini refugium?

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
An employee at my LFS mentioned doing this, for a smaller tank on a budget and without the space for a full sized sump. How would one go about modifying a HOB to grow algae and whatnot?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I personally don’t see this being worth the trouble honestly. For not all that much more money you can get a good sized refugium and just get a clamp on loght from homedepot with a proper LED bulb and you’ll be much better off. The volume in these filters is very low.
If you’re really short on cash and have all the stuff sitting around it’s worth trying it.

Can I ask why you want a refugium?

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mainly curiosity. I'm not getting into saltwater anytime soon due to my living situation but I'm still interested in it. I like the idea of simulating the natural environment as much as possible to keep a tank stable so I'm looking into some methods.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool. I just didn’t want you to think a small one would work motivated that’s all.
a sump or a larger refugium will accomplish that. Live rock and water volume are some of the best things you can do to accomplish your goal. A refugium will work towards you accomplishing this for sure.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom