Modding Marina Slim 20

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by abarb, Mar 8, 2019.

1. abarbWell Known MemberMember

How should I modify the marina slim 20 filter? It already has an intake sponge.

2. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Watch here.

I would use all Matrix after the foam.

3. abarbWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the video. I have some seachem denitrate. Can I use it instead? I know it won’t grow anaerobic bacteria though since it’s over 50 gph..

4. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Yes that will work just fine also. De-nitrate is just a smaller version of Matrix. Actually it probably will grow some anaerobic bacteria.

5. abarbWell Known MemberMember

Should I use lava rock too?

6. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

You can but Matrix is better than lava rock because it's actually more porous.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  7. abarbWell Known MemberMember

8. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

That will work also. Again, hard porous media is best.

9. abarbWell Known MemberMember

Does this look ok for mechanical filtration?

Attached Files:

10. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Yes but you could follow the video and put all that in the first cartridge space and use the last 3 for mesh bags of Matrix.

11. abarbWell Known MemberMember

I don't think I need that much biological filtration since it will be a betta and possibly some ember tetras in a 10 gallon.

12. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

OK, but you said it yourself, you cut the flow in half and now you have less than 50 gph for your anaerobic bacteria. That flow is plenty in a 10 gallon.

13. abarbWell Known MemberMember

I think the sponge can also biologically filter. I can use one space for matrix and one for biomax or ceramic rings. I'll put some lava rock in the tank. Is that enough?

14. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

I think you have enough info to make your decision now. Good luck.

15. abarbWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the help.

16. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Just to let you know, this is what I did with my Marina S20. I traced out the cartridges onto 3 mesh filter zipper bags and sewed them to make a perfect fit into the area in the S20. After doing this I never really used the S20 in my 10 gallon. I looked at my 75 gallon and one of the filters on it was a new Tidal 55. I said, 'what the heck'.

I ordered a new Tidal 75 and put the Tidal 55 on the 10 gallon after cutting down the intake tube. Put on an intake sponge and used the 3 bags from the S20 will filled with Matrix along with another 2 larger bags and put them in the Tidal 55. Turned down the flow to 80% of 250 gph which gives me 50 gph. Water is perfect at 0/0/0 with the planted 10 gallon. Anywho... that's what I did.