Mod to Aqueon Quiet Flow... I think?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by amydeb, Jul 23, 2015.

1. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

Hello all,

My mother bought an aquarium kit that came with a Quiet Flow 30. She cycled with fish and TSS but her fish are doing great. I test her water for her every week and her levels are good so she added a couple more fish. She has yet to change the cartridge (at least she listened on that one) Tonight, I got her a small box of Bio Max and a bag and pretty much jammed it in the space behind where the cartridge goes. My thinking was that she can change the cartridge to her hearts content (because somehow, that is bugging her) and not lose bacteria. The flow doesn't seem to be affected. Will this work out in the long run? I mean with the cartridges? Or should I look to put something else its place? I don't think I can convince her to put anything else that she will have to rinse and reuse (like the bio max).

Thoughts?

2. T

ThatOneAquarist Valued Member Member

That should work great, but if there's space you may want to put it in front of the cartridge so no debris build up on the biomax. good luck, and be sure to let the bacteria settle on the new bio max

3. OP
    OP
    a

Nope, no space there. She's going to have to rinse it. lol
    Thanks.

4. T

alright well be sure to tell her not to scrub it, and use water from the tank, the tap water will kill the bacteria. again good luck

5. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks again. I've told her... twice in one evening. :) Also told her that I would do it if it was an issue. But she's had kids and has grand kids, a little fish poo shouldn't bother her. lol

6. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

I'm in the minority here because I change my Aqueon cartridges. There is plenty of BB on all the other parts of this filter and my water parameters are most excellent.

My water is also crystal clear.

7. OP
    OP
    a

Then maybe I should have asked around here before putting that on her. lol The only experience I have with HOB is the one on my tank (which isn't anything like the Aqueon). I bought the set up used. The filter was too small for the tank so I added a canister filter. That is the one I depend on for the BB. I see my HOB as more mechanical filtration and nothing else.

8. T

Most HOBs do grow bacteria but mainly its all on the cartridge which because of the carbon in most of them you have to throw them out every couple weeks. Theres a couple exceptions from fluval that don't force you to replace anything, but while the aqueon may have more places than most for BB, theres no problem giving them extra places to stay. You could even search on youtube for diy filter media and never have to worry about replacing anything. (if you can convince her not to)

9. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Make sure you let the bacteria build on the biomax for a while before changing the cartridge, you don't want to risk a mini cycle.

10. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

If money is not an issue, I would recommend transitioning to an Aquaclear HOB or Marineland Biowheel, both of which have a better arrangement for sponge/biomedia, avoiding that diabolical Aqueon cartridge system. I had a quietflow on my first tank, and most of my bacteria would colonize that cartridge, causing me to cycle when I had to replace it.

11. g

gadgetgirl01 Valued Member Member

I have the same filter and did the same thing. I shoved a bag of biomax between the cartridge and the holster. It's a little tricky when you replace the cartridge though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice