Mixing white and black sand maybe?

• Thread starter FLGirl
  • Start date

FLGirl

Well Known
HI all,

So, I'm planning on getting another tank eventually here - going back and forth but most likely upgrading my 20 gallon to a 55 will be the best option with my limited space. I was also thinking of taking one of my ten gallons down. It's been running with nothing in it but plants. My 20 gallon has white/tan sand and my 10 gallon has black tahitian moon sand. I was thinking of just mixing all the sand together for the larger tank and then adding however much more is needed. The texture is different so I'm wondering how it might looked once it settles in. My white/tan sand is from my dad, I don't remember if its pool sand or what exactly but I know it wasn't ''aquarium'' sand. I haven't really decided if I want it to be a darker or lighter substrate yet either so I worried that if there's too much white said it may just end up looking dirty. Maybe I should just save the black sand.

Ah, I can't decide, opinions? Any pictures to share?

chrt396

Well Known
They have a cichlid substrate that is salt and pepper effect...and it looks GREAT. It's just hard to find in enough quantity to do a sizeable tank. I think it would look good myself. Maybe take a small glass dish,,,mix them together and see how it looks before you commit to a large quantity.

FLGirl

Well Known
Yeah, I'm still on the fence. One of my ten gallons has a really fine light sand and Iv always really liked that look too. Can't decide. xD

chrt396

Well Known
Once you get the stuff in the tank..it's really tough to change out later...so might as well get it right the first time

Bijou88

Well Known
This is my mix of black diamond and pfs, someday I'll add more black but I like the two mixed.

Attachments

yasha

Well Known
I like the look of white and black sand mixed personally. Partly because of how my fish look with it imo but also partly because in both white and black sand alone I could see the dirt easier. darker color stuff shows on the like and lighter on the dark so with a mix of both it makes the dirt look a little less noticeable imo.

A few example of my tank in case you'd like to see. Really is what you think is best. I can say trying it small 1st isn't a bad Idea but it didn't work for me I had to see it in the tank to know what it looked like with the fish and decorations. I was ready to take the sand out if I didn't like it tho. When taking out the sand I just do it over time with water changes siphoning it out I don't find it to hard to change.

Pool Filter Sand
DSCN6276.JPG

Petco black and Petco White.
DSCN6376.JPGDSCN6380.JPG
I tried both more white and more black and like each one for different fish.

FLGirl

Well Known
Thanks for sharing! They all look great!!

BMcK

Here's a pic of my co workers tank that has mixed sand.

FLGirl

Well Known
That's a gorgeous tank!! How fine is the sand? I'm thinking of adding cories to this tank too. I prefer to keep them with ultra fine sand and I'm wondering how that may effect the final look. Using my current sand would be out though, not fine enough. Eh, guess that means I should just keep the other tanks up and running too. Ha Ha

Top Bottom