Mixing Sand Colors?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Betrayer, Apr 8, 2017.

?

What are your thoughts on mixing black and white/light sand for a substrate?

1. I have mixed sand and I love it!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. I tried mixed sand and it was a disaster!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I have never tried it, but I like the look.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I have never tried it, and I'm not a fan.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I currently have light-colored sand as a substrate. I like it, but I am considering adding black sand and mixing the colors. I've come across several pictures of mixed black and white sand online and I like the way it looks. It doesn't seem to be all that common though, and I have a feeling it may be tricky to achieve just the right balance.

I would love feedback from people who have tried it. Pictures would be great if you wouldn't mind sharing :) Thanks!

2. Rich0419

Rich0419 New Member Member

How was the black sand colored?

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Do you want it more white or more black? If I wanted it more white, I'd put 1 cup of white sand in a small container and then add 1/8 cup black sand. Put the top on the container and shake it well. If I thought I would like to go with a bit more black, I'd add another 1/8, put the top back on and shake again. You see where I'm going with this. Be sure to post pictures when you're done!

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Since your white sand is presumably already in the tank, getting the black sand mixed in with it may be tricky and messy. It would probably work better if you bought all new sand and mixed it while it was still dry.

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I have mixed black and white gravel. It is ok. Nothing to get excited about.

6. OP
    OP
    B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Good point! Thanks!

Ok, thanks! I don't think I would be very excited about black and white gravel either (no offense!). I'm hoping for a natural look. Because the grain size of sand is so much smaller than most gravel, I don't think the contrast between the colors would appear quite as drastic. I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice