Mixing Saltwater

Discussion in 'More Saltwater Aquarium Topics' started by Jregister2, Apr 16, 2018.

1. J

Jregister2 Valued Member Member

Hey I have a dumb question. I'm setting up a 25 gallon saltwater tank and I dont have a big container to mix my water and salt in so I was wondering if I mixed it in a bucket and make every bucket a salinity level of 1.025 will my salinity in the tank be higher or will it be a consistent 1.025? I'm not new to saltwater this is just my first time mixing my own water.

2. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

if you don't have anything in the tank - why not just mix the salt in the tank? and get it to a salinity level of 1.025
    But yes - if you use a bucket, and you mix it to 1.025 it will match to your 1.025 tank.

Also, to note, are you using a refractometer to measure the salinity? If so, make sure you triple check the calibration before taking measurements.
    Generally, its about 1/2 cup of salt to 1 gallon of water to achieve a rough ball-park of 1.025

3. OP
    OP
    J

Yes I am using a refractometer. Now mixing it in the tank all I got to do is mix it in the tank take the water back out and add my love sand and live rock or could I do that while the water is in the tank. But the sand will make it super cloudy at first

4. OP
    OP
    J

Because I always like to add my sand and rock before the water but if you think it be alright to add the water than the sand and rock I'll give that a try

5. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well Known Member Member

Lots of people add their water first. Just remember that sand and rocks will displace some of the water.

6. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks for the help and the reply

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice