Mixing Saltwater

Jregister2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a dumb question. I'm setting up a 25 gallon saltwater tank and I dont have a big container to mix my water and salt in so I was wondering if I mixed it in a bucket and make every bucket a salinity level of 1.025 will my salinity in the tank be higher or will it be a consistent 1.025? I'm not new to saltwater this is just my first time mixing my own water.

Nart

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
if you don't have anything in the tank - why not just mix the salt in the tank? and get it to a salinity level of 1.025
But yes - if you use a bucket, and you mix it to 1.025 it will match to your 1.025 tank.

Also, to note, are you using a refractometer to measure the salinity? If so, make sure you triple check the calibration before taking measurements.
Generally, its about 1/2 cup of salt to 1 gallon of water to achieve a rough ball-park of 1.025

Jregister2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes I am using a refractometer. Now mixing it in the tank all I got to do is mix it in the tank take the water back out and add my love sand and live rock or could I do that while the water is in the tank. But the sand will make it super cloudy at first

Jregister2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Because I always like to add my sand and rock before the water but if you think it be alright to add the water than the sand and rock I'll give that a try

Wild Bill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lots of people add their water first. Just remember that sand and rocks will displace some of the water.

Jregister2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wild Bill said:
Lots of people add their water first. Just remember that sand and rocks will displace some of the water.
Thanks for the help and the reply

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom