Mixing Red Cherries

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandedUW

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recently purchased a few red cherries from someone on Craigslist, but when I picked them up, I was disappointed to find there were not the vibrant red I was expecting. In fact, they have very little color at all. My question is, if I pick up some really deep red ones from the lfs, am I going to end up with bland gray shrimp if they breed to these dull ones, as if I had mixed different colors of neos? They would all be red cherries, but since they are from different stock/lines/whatever, would the breeding yield undesirable results? Thanks

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I recently purchased a few red cherries from someone on Craigslist, but when I picked them up, I was disappointed to find there were not the vibrant red I was expecting. In fact, they have very little color at all. My question is, if I pick up some really deep red ones from the lfs, am I going to end up with bland gray shrimp if they breed to these dull ones, as if I had mixed different colors of neos? They would all be red cherries, but since they are from different stock/lines/whatever, would the breeding yield undesirable results? Thanks
Most likely. Sorry.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You wont get grey, you will still get red but they may not be as vibrant red. It takes a lot of artificial selection and culling to get the deep reds you see advertised.

Also bear in mind that males will never be as red as females, so if you got a bunch of males they could be high quality even if theyre clear.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You wont get grey, you will still get red but they may not be as vibrant red. It takes a lot of artificial selection and culling to get the deep reds you see advertised.

Also bear in mind that males will never be as red as females, so if you got a bunch of males they could be high quality even if theyre clear.
I agree with all of that, except for the males not being as red. That's true for some colonies, but the highest grade colonies will have males that are just as red as the females, but of course these higher grades are usually harder to find. They're usually sold under the names fire red, bloody mary or sometimes still just referred to as regular 'cherry shrimp' depending on the shop/seller lol. The names don't really mean a lot lol, as what some people call 'bloody mary' or 'fire red', I'd consider to be pretty average cherries, yet some sold as just cherries are actually full high grade fire red etc.

Just look for the best ones you can find (including the males) and use them to start your colony, regularly adding other high grade shrimp from different sources into the mix to increase the gene pool. You don't want to go backwards by adding lower quality shrimp, I'd either sell them or put in a different tank as clean up crew

OP
BrandedUW

BrandedUW

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
... these higher grades are usually harder to find. They're usually sold under the names fire red, bloody mary or sometimes still just referred to as regular 'cherry shrimp' depending on the shop/seller lol. The names don't really mean a lot lol, as what some people call 'bloody mary' or 'fire red', I'd consider to be pretty average cherries, yet some sold as just cherries are actually full high grade fire red etc.

Just look for the best ones you can find (including the males) and use them to start your colony, regularly adding other high grade shrimp from different sources into the mix to increase the gene pool. You don't want to go backwards by adding lower quality shrimp, I'd either sell them or put in a different tank as clean up crew
My lfs, which is one of the best shops in the whole Northwest apparently, has Bloody Mary's, so I know I can get some there, but I was scared to pay $5 a piece when they have a 6 shrimp minimum purchase. I've heard so many stories about people getting shrimp and they all died within a weekso I thought it would be fine to experiment with something cheaper, but now I'm not so sure. I hadn't even thought about reselling them. I only have 4 but I never seem to see more than two at a time so I'm not sure I would even be able to collect them.

Anything clear or grey in my tanks are all culls, ide look for a more reliable source
At the risk of showing my ignorance, when you say to cull then, what exactly are you doing with them after that?

They will get eaten indeed.
It sounds like it depends on the personality of the fish and the amount of cover provided. I've heard lots of stories on both sides. This is another reason I didn't want to spend $30 for the good ones at the LFS, in case they do end up getting eaten.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My lfs, which is one of the best shops in the whole Northwest apparently, has Bloody Mary's, so I know I can get some there, but I was scared to pay $5 a piece when they have a 6 shrimp minimum purchase. I've heard so many stories about people getting shrimp and they all died within a weekso I thought it would be fine to experiment with something cheaper, but now I'm not so sure. I hadn't even thought about reselling them. I only have 4 but I never seem to see more than two at a time so I'm not sure I would even be able to collect them.

At the risk of showing my ignorance, when you say to cull then, what exactly are you doing with them after that?

It sounds like it depends on the personality of the fish and the amount of cover provided. I've heard lots of stories on both sides. This is another reason I didn't want to spend $30 for the good ones at the LFS, in case they do end up getting eaten.
Prices are funny with shrimp, some shops will be cheap for average shrimp and expensive for higher quality as you'd expect, but it also seems some shops have no idea what they have grade-wise. In fact, the very best red and yellow cherry shrimp I've ever come across (eg. full solid bright reds and yellows, with males the same color as the females) are actually also the cheapest shrimp I've found So it pays to look around, go searching, don't just go to the 'best' shop you know of (they'll probably be more expensive and not the highest grade anyway), try pet shops rather than aquarium shops too (that's where I've found the best ones).

As for culling, most people sell them on Gumtree/Ebay etc or to LFS

From my experience they're fine kept with livebearers, but I haven't tried keeping them with other types of fish as livebearers are my thing (although some of the babies might get eaten).

OP
BrandedUW

BrandedUW

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Prices are funny with shrimp, some shops will be cheap for average shrimp and expensive for higher quality as you'd expect, but it also seems some shops have no idea what they have grade-wise. In fact, the very best red and yellow cherry shrimp I've ever come across (eg. full solid bright reds and yellows, with males the same color as the females) are actually also the cheapest shrimp I've found So it pays to look around, go searching, don't just go to the 'best' shop you know of (they'll probably be more expensive and not the highest grade anyway), try pet shops rather than aquarium shops too (that's where I've found the best ones).

As for culling, most people sell them on Gumtree/Ebay etc or to LFS

From my experience they're fine kept with livebearers, but I haven't tried keeping them with other types of fish as livebearers are my thing (although some of the babies might get eaten).
By pet shops, do you mean places like Petco? We don't actually have many pet stores around that aren't dog/cat only or a big box store. I guess there's one in the mall, but that would require going to the mall. Lol. Maybe I'll call first. Haha. Thanks for the advice.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By pet shops, do you mean places like Petco? We don't actually have many pet stores around that aren't dog/cat only or a big box store. I guess there's one in the mall, but that would require going to the mall. Lol. Maybe I'll call first. Haha. Thanks for the advice.
I'm in Australia so can't help too much, but you'll want to find the smaller, individual stores (not chain stores like Petco etc). These individual stores will typically have different suppliers. It might take a bit of searching (google all the areas you'd be happy to travel to, call first to make sure they sell or have shrimp in stock, but they probably won't be able to describe what sort of grade/color they are, you'll just have to go see for yourself). I usually get a bus or train and go out for the day hunting for things I'm after lol.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I say cull I mean kill or feed to fish I do drop them in a community tank and if they survive then good for them at least they are not ruining my blood line, if your keeping them in a tank with fish then the chances are the young will get eaten so your on a looser they may even eat the bigger ones if there's not enough cover that's why I have only shrimp tanks as far as I'm concerned all fish are predatory on young shrimp. On what you've described you have very low grade bordering on going back to wild brown, a picture could give us a better idea, on recent posts people have bought from pet mart and some stunning shrimp at that, What to look for! Cherries will be Red shrimp and may be freckled white legs is a low grade. Red with red legs white only showing on the joints are higher grade going to sakura fire red you will also see the eggs when she's berried. Painted lady fire red sakura are a very deep red all over including legs, joints still show a bit of white but on this grade which is the top grade you will only see the eggs in certain light as the deep red will shield the colour. If the ones you had were advertised as fire reds then you need to get intouch with them, or you put it down to experience

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

My cousins new Betta needed one night to eliminate his shrimppopulation.

OP
BrandedUW

BrandedUW

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I say cull I mean kill or feed to fish I do drop them in a community tank and if they survive then good for them at least they are not ruining my blood line, if your keeping them in a tank with fish then the chances are the young will get eaten so your on a looser they may even eat the bigger ones if there's not enough cover that's why I have only shrimp tanks as far as I'm concerned all fish are predatory on young shrimp. On what you've described you have very low grade bordering on going back to wild brown, a picture could give us a better idea, on recent posts people have bought from pet mart and some stunning shrimp at that, What to look for! Cherries will be Red shrimp and may be freckled white legs is a low grade. Red with red legs white only showing on the joints are higher grade going to sakura fire red you will also see the eggs when she's berried. Painted lady fire red sakura are a very deep red all over including legs, joints still show a bit of white but on this grade which is the top grade you will only see the eggs in certain light as the deep red will shield the colour. If the ones you had were advertised as fire reds then you need to get intouch with them, or you put it down to experience
Thanks. This person didn't advertise a grade on their shrimp, but just simply called them Cherry Reds. One or two of them have a bit more red but they're just not what I was expecting. I think I had unrealistic expectations honestly and I'm just checking this one up to experience. I only paid $4 for two shrimp and the guy actually gave me for shrimp so I really can't complain. baby shrimp may just become fish diet supplementation anyway like you said, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much. Thanks again.

OP
BrandedUW

BrandedUW

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also, how long have you had them? They lose color when in a new environment. Also substrate differences.
Only a few days (since Friday). They didn't have much color right right off the bat, but they are all pretty young I think (not sure if that makes a difference). I put a mineral stone in to see if that helps any (can't hurt hopefully).

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DE3D3E7A-FD31-4FB5-826D-D7B2DDC3897B.jpeg
Only a few days (since Friday). They didn't have much color right right off the bat, but they are all pretty young I think (not sure if that makes a difference). I put a mineral stone in to see if that helps any (can't hurt hopefully).
I got mine in the mail, and the first few hours, some were not to red, but they brightened up overnight. Also, the darker the substrate, the darker the shrimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 86 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 24 18.3%

Top Bottom