Mixing Rainbow Fish

1. Canadian Fish Member Member

Hi, I currently have 8 red platies and 8 zebra danios in a 55 gallon tank.

My LFS is getting an order of rainbow fish this week and I would like to stock a small school.

They expect to get some Australian (Murray River), Red Irian, Turquoise (Lake Kutubu), and Boseman's rainbow fish.

I was wondering if I could get 2 each of 3 different types, or 3 each of 2 different types, or if I have to get a school of 5 or 6 of all the same?

Thanks!

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Having all of them, except the australian, I would not get any for a 55. The biggest problem is the width of the tank. 12 inches just does not provide enough space for a large, active fish to maneuver in. They really need an 18 inch wide tank, which is 50% bigger. Aside from that, mine outgrew the 90. A 4 foot tank is a good grow out, because the fish are sold small, but when they get big they really need more than a 4 foot tank. Of course before I moved mine to the 125, I thought they were fine in the 90. It is now obvious how cramped they had been. You don't know what you don't know.

Dwarf neon and machallochis (sp?) are the largest I would put in a 55.

Different species will school together most of the time, though sometimes they will break away and there will be separate schools in the tank. There are times I have one school and times I have 4.

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I have to agree.

I took the recommendation of Jaysee and RogueAgent94 and didnt get fully grown boesmani rainbows because of my tank size. I thought this was the stupidest thing anyone had told me that week because my tank is a 110 gallon 5ft long, 20" wide tank. Luckily both of them told me which was at least reason for me to hold off for a while... I am glad i did not go through that because i have dwarf neons and lake kutubus, they cover the length of the tank in no time... they're about 3 quarters fully grown. They seem like they could still be happier with more space.

But yes, rainbows can be kept together.

On a side note, i would rather keep larger numbers of one than small numbers of 3 or 4 species.