Mixing Pygmy Corys with Skunk Corys

kstots

I went to my LFS today to add some corys to my 75 gallon tank. It is a relatively newly cycled setup and I have been slowly adding groups of schooling community fish. So far I have 10 danios, 5 mollys, and 2 endlers guppys. I have had a successful 20 gallon tank in the past, but this is my first time with a larger tank and with corys.

I wanted to get a cory school started so I requested 8 pygmy corys from the girl at the store. The pygmys were in the tank with some skunk corys. The sales person ended up giving me 5 pygmy and 3 similarly sized skunks and I didn’t realize it until I was on my way home. So my question is, should this be sufficient for the health of the corys, or do I need to get a couple more of each so there is enough to have a separate small school of each. I don’t want to overwhelm the tank, but I don’t want to stress the fish if they don’t have enough of their own kind either. Also, if I need to add, should I get more skunk corys or could I add something like albinos and have them complete the school of the larger corys? Thanks for any input you can provide.

BigManAquatics

You could probably add a few more of each to get 6 each or so, then add some albinos later. That would be what i do. Or at least what my plan would be. Til i screw it up later lol

BradleyH2O

People say that you need a minimum of each species of Cory. I have a community tank with 3 Julii, 2 spotted and 2 green emerald and they all school together, play together and pile up together during bed time. I don’t think they realize they’re all a little different

DoubleDutch

In a 75 G tank I'd add (a lot more) more of each species.With pygmies you mean C.pygmaeus I assume. Those have completely different behaviour (often swimming midwater) than Skunks.

BradleyH2O

In a 75 G tank I'd add (a lot more) more of each species.With pygmies you mean C.pygmaeus I assume. Those have completely different behaviour (often swimming midwater) than Skunks.
That’s an excellent point and one that I overlooked.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
david1978
  • Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Michael.j.gomez
Replies