Mixing of Fresh Water fish and Shrimps?

amolnsys
I have a 14 gallon fresh water fish tank which I bought today.
As per the aquiruI'm guys advice we got 50 neon tetras, 5 glass cat fish, 2 thaI gaurami, 6 marble platy and 2 shrimps...

Most of them are acting wiered....and some neon tetras and 1 cat fish have died within 4hrs after setting of tank.....I asume due to adding less antI cholrine solution it might have happened.

Pls suggest me can all these species live together ...and also I see my shrimps are moving too fast and hitting some of the fishes in its way....looks they are very naughty!!!!

but do shrimps go well with other above mentioned fishes???

2 of my platy are sleeping upside down...mean I am really new to this so I coldnt make it how fishes sleep and how they look after they are dead...pls suggest...

some tetras behave like they are completely dead and when I check them with net they again start moving but a lil slow...

Blub
Hi!

Oh my god! That guy is just trying to suck money out of you.

Please read this article: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
And this one, too: https://www.fishlore.com/FirstTankSetup.htm

Also, that is enough to overstock a 100gal tank! The guy at the fish store obviously has either no knowledge or wants your fish to die so you buy more!
Ask if they'll take the fish back - and tell them it's because you don't want them any more. If you try to keep them in there, almost every single fish WILL die.

You'll find this link useful:https://www.fishlore.com/Disease.htm

I think the Platys have a very bad swim-bladder infection. The only thing you can do as a beginner is end their suffering - that sounds way to advanced to treat. The supposedly 'dead' tetras may have Neon tetra disease.

Hi!

Dino
Sounds like all fish are suffering from ammonia poisoning.

What type of filtration do you have going on this tank?

I would be leery of that stores advice.

Welcome to Fishlore.

Lucy
I can't believe even the worst fish store would send someone home with 63 fish.
Fish don't sleep upside down.

King_Snuggles
that has to be a typo. either 140 gallon tank or 5 neons?

amolnsys
no there is no typo error that's a correct figure

BoSox Fan7
Holy !!!!! You should either return the fish right away or get an 100 gallon aquarium and putt bio spira in. How do all those fish even fit? Also, when fish are floating upside down and the top of your tank they are dead.

Barbrella
I cannot believe this post is for real. Even someone totally new to fishkeeping wouldn't cram that many fish into a tank like sardines in a tin.....would they?

Blub
Hi!

I agree, Barbrella. Can we get on with sorting these problems?

sirdarksol
I cannot believe this post is for real. Even someone totally new to fishkeeping wouldn't cram that many fish into a tank like sardines in a tin.....would they?

My first thought when I read the post.

However, presuming this post is true, I would suggest taking everything back to the pet store and demanding my money back.
Do some research, plan out an aquarium, get it cycled, then buy fish. (The posts that Hatchet listed are excellent for learning about how to set up an aquarium)

amolnsys
guys I know that I stocked too much....

but I asked the aquarium shop guys and he said ok...for cat fish I asked him can I keep 2 of these he said they always stay in group of 6 so I buyd tht...
I was completely new to this and asked everything to shopkepper...and he said this much fishes will survive well I blieved him and purchased tht much quatity....

but whn I saw them dying then I thought of doing some google and thts how I came across this forum....
well now many of them are dead can't help....and rest of them are perfectly fine doing gr8...
m learning more about this topic.....
thanks to this forum and u all guys

ShaynaB
It's hard, especially for beginners, to buy fish. You'd think that the *lovely* fish store people would know what they're talking about, but they don't. And that's the saddest part of this. Honestly, if I didn't know anything about fish, I'd listen to what the fish guy said too. (I did, unfortunately... That was a while ago, though.) Most of the people that they hire probably don't even own tanks.

Even in my favorite fish store, if I don't go find the owner I can't get a straight answer. I'll ask something about a fish that I already know, just to see if they know it sometimes... I've gotten the strangest answers...

I'm glad you found the forum! Welcome!

MissMTS
HI and Welcome to Fishlore! Something similar (though not quite as bad) happened to me with my first tank thanks to bad LFS employee advice. Don't get discouraged. Take the fish back, start over, and do a little research to find out what you want in your tank. Once you get it set up right it is very rewarding

Blub
Hi!

As you've learned, the LFS employees are rubbish. It's great to have you here!

So - how many are still alive? If there was a little less fish - we could get to a point where the tank is maintainable. If it is a little overstocked -s o be it. I run an overstocked tank (Not much over though) and it just means a little bit more work.

sirdarksol
You'd think that the *lovely* fish store people would know what they're talking about, but they don't. And that's the saddest part of this. Honestly, if I didn't know anything about fish, I'd listen to what the fish guy said too. (I did, unfortunately... That was a while ago, though.) Most of the people that they hire probably don't even own tanks.

Too true.
For a beginner, there's no way to tell the difference between the guy who really knows his fish and the guy who just scanned the little info sheets about the fish and calls that "expertise". Then there's the guy who just wants to sell more fish and will lie to do so.

OzzyFan
I've got 21 small fish in my 25-gallon aquarium (other than a swordtail and a dwarf gourami) and I feel that THAT's overstocked. At one point I had 29 fish, some died, I was at 17 fish, and I bought 4 more on Monday and I haven't had any deaths since then.

Anyway, you should really do a bit of research before buying fish again. I'm not an expert, but I think you should find out at least this:

1. What species are you interested in?
2. Are they compatible with each other?
3. What kind of environment suits them? I.e., rocks, plants, current, etc. (I didn't really take this into account when I bought fish)
4. What are their temperature requirements? (can someone tell me how finicky fish are, regarding temperature?)
5. Do they do well in schools?

I would definitely NOT stock a tank with as many fish as you might see crammed into a tank at the fish store...like when you have 80 guppies in a 15-gallon tank.

Morph
I have to ask, how did you take all of those fish home at the same time? did he toss 63 fish in 1 bag? or did you leave the store with like 40 bags of fish? red wheel barrow? i'm so lost....

amolnsys
well I had 50 neon tetras in one bag and rest of the fishes in other bag.... and shrimps were seperate....

the 20% water formula is working for my tank...now all of them are happy...(total 15 in nos) and looks like the no is approx to the thumb rule 1 fish per gallon....

angelfish220
What fish are alive now? On your aquarium Info it said that you don't know the nitrogen cycle right? well lets start there. Go to the "Aquarium water" of the forum and click on 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' then go to the top thing in grey and it reads "Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle - Read this first!" read the whole thing then come back here and we will see what we can do to help your fish. Dont be offended we were all goggling at the fact on how mich fish you got, my first 10 gal tank had enough fish in it to stock my 55 now! We all were once beginners and thought that the sales guy was saying the right thing but now you found fishlore and we are here to help OK?

Trio123
wow I work at a pet store... and I've heard some crazy advise... but that is unbelieveable. How embarrassing for all us people who try to give people the best advise we can! It sounds like te guys really was pulling a cruel prank on you... maybe he was mad at his place of work for some reason... it is good to do your research but most sales people aren't going to burn you that hard (even when I ask people at petco and petsmart for advise it was WAY better than that and sometimes down right good advise). Do what everyone says and make sure you go back to that store and complain big time!

COBettaCouple
Actually, the guideline is 1 gallon per adult inch of fish.

well I had 50 neon tetras in one bag and rest of the fishes in other bag.... and shrimps were seperate....

the 20% water formula is working for my tank...now all of them are happy...(total 15 in nos) and looks like the no is approx to the thumb rule 1 fish per gallon....

Blub
Hi!

I think we need to get this tank cycled - then maybe sort out the overstock problems. I'm guessing it's around 15inches overstocked.

MissMTS
Hatchet is right. You need to cycle your tank first. That will be very hard to do with your tank overstocked like that. I would reccomend doing a fishless cycle and taking all the rest of the fish back to the store. It is much safer for the fish and a more humane way to do it since often times fish that are used to cycle a tank die in the process. If you do want to use fish to cycle your tank, I would keep maybe 5 fish and take the rest back to the store. Once you tell us how you would prefer to cycle it, we can help you through the process.

Blub
Hi!

Same here, Kate. It's much more humane and easier to cycle fishless - s otske those fish back to a different store and we can help you choose a nice selection that will thrive and make you really proud.

angelfish220
that is the best bet, unless you can get biospira. You know you could always go and get another couple tanks and lots of biospira and keep all of your fishes

MissMTS
Haha, that's the spirit! Give into MTS......lol!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
hmayes
Replies
Views
zel
Replies
Views
bored411
Replies
Views