Mixing In New Water Into Usual Tap Water Tank Question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Nickguy5467, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

I was thinking of mixing in some RO water into my 37g tank. at which amout should i add this RO water since i learned my tap seems to have nitrates in it so lower the amount of them in my tank that cantt see to be removed with watter changes if the same watter i put in has the same amount of nitrates. i was thinking of adding 5 gallons of RO water after a water change? is that safe or will that shock my fish?

ps. sorry about the typos. my keyboard is messed up around and at T

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I think both @AquaticJ and @coralbandit do this. Its late for them but hopefully they see it tomorrow.

3. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

I use a TDS meter to mix the water how I want .
    I think you should get one to know how much you can mix without shifting the parameters too much .

4. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

i have a tds meter from one of those zero water things i bought a long time ago. anyway i just used i now and it says 483 . aand my tap water is around there, but now as a test i just noticed that if i run my cold water tap the tds is 300 and if i run it hot only its like 500ish(probably not a good thing when i have to use warm water)

5. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

What is your tank at ?
    You should shoot for 300 in the tank and possibly lower.
    My TDS out of tap is 350 .I know people whose tap is like 50-75 TDS.
    IMO 200 is middle of the road .
    By mixing tap and ro you get your water where ever you want .

6. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

the tds is really high. the tank's TDS goes between 483 and 503, the cold water from my ttap is 300 but if i used that tthey would die but you know that =) i think the source for the hot water is the problem as the tds is about 500 for just that from tap. im actually not sure what high TDS means for my fish? is there a thread for thatt?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019