Mixing In Marine Salt

Immyb

my 30 gallon brackish tank is all set up with a f8 puffer (salinity 1.003 SG, measured with refractometer) at the moment I'm premixing my water at each water change.

My question is, could I theoretically use a breeder net in the tank to add the salt so it dissolves into the water slowly rather than premixing? I just think it's more natural to fluctuate the salinity slightly so that the puffer can experience the theoretical tide coming in
I understand that it's imperative to premix with marine fish, but as long as I use the right amount of salt and double check the SG after it's dissolved then could this method work for a brackish tank?

Immyb

TexasDomer Anders247 maybe you guys have some advice?

TexasDomer

Sorry, I don't use salt so I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I don't think it would work well. It would likely take way too long to dissolve. Instead, I might dissolve it in water outside of the tank and slowly pour it in over the course of a day or two if you want to mimic tides.

Immyb

Sorry, I don't use salt so I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I don't think it would work well. It would likely take way too long to dissolve. Instead, I might dissolve it in water outside of the tank and slowly pour it in over the course of a day or two if you want to mimic tides.
Don't worry, thanks anyway!

Anders247

Sorry, I can't help either. ryanr might, he's one of our few saltwater members.

ryanr

Hi,
I wouldn't add salt directly into a system. Into a sump maybe if I was desperate (i.e. no water to premix with), but certainly not directly into a display tank.
Too much can go wrong too quickly.

Theoretically, what you're proposing could work, I just think it's too risky for my liking. I don't know enough about puffers to advise if what you're proposing is a good idea (fluctuating salinity/simulating tidal movement)

Immyb

My thinking was that since brackish organisms are euryhaline, it would be more realistic to gradually change the salinity within the aquarium using the filter powerhead to mimic the tide coming in. Of course this isn't necessary, so I will probably do a lot more research before I even think about doing this, but thought it might be an interesting aspect of brackish water that often isn't recreated in a home aquarium. Thanks for all the help!

TexasDomer

Then why not try what I suggested? In the wild, salt isn't added to fresh water; instead, salt water slowly comes in. Premix and slowly add the salt water over the course of a day or two.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Immyb
Replies
Views
clemtine pace
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views