Question Mixing guppy strains when breeding

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm a beginner to guppy breeding and while I'm interested in it, I'm not particularly keen on getting overpopulated.

I really like a full colored guppy like the Black Moscow or Blue Moscow. Maybe the Full Red. And I'm going to start off with one male and two females.

1. Should I start off with a fancy guppy?
2. What's the advantages vs disadvantages of breeding fancy vs ordinary guppies?
3. Should females be of the same strain as the males?
4. Or should I not bother with the female strain and just take my chances at creating a mixed strain?
5. How would this affect the future health and genetics of the offspring?
6. Once the next generation has reached sexual maturity, what's my next step? Selective breeding between parent and child, is that discouraged?
7. How can I control certain traits like color, fin type, tail type?
8. What's a good way to keep track of the developments in genetics?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi houiej, wow, lot of questions! I'll try and help out.........

1. Yes, If you want a fancy strain
2. Fancy Guppies look better and are worth more.
3. Definatly, if you are after a pure strain, no, if you are trying to create something new.
4. Again, this depends on what result you are after.
5. This depends on the strain of male and female, and whether they are related.
6. For a pure strain, select the best male and female from the offspring, and mate the father/daughter and mother/son. Or mate the best of your offspring with another unrealated but same strain guppy. It can take a long time to create a pure strain though.
7. Again, by selectivley mating the fish from your offspring that carry the best of these traits.
8. I keep picture records and a log on the computer.

I've attached a few pics of some of the boys I've bred in the past, the only pure ones are the Blue and Snakeskin, The others are ones I "invented" myself!

Attachments

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Nick for the advice. I'm pretty certain I'll be going for a blue neon or thereabouts. The iridescence against a black background looks great under lighting.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom