Mixing Gravel with Sand?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by BarbieBubbles, Jan 7, 2013.

1. BarbieBubblesNew MemberMember

I'm switching my 110G into a chichlid tank and now prefer to use a sand substrate for them. I now have a black pebble gravel and love the look. I'm wondering how this would mix with Black Diamond Blasting sand or (more $$) Tahitian Moon substrate from my LFS? Would the sand mix or go to the bottom? Anyone try this?Or has anyone tried mixing large pebble gravel with white sand aragonite or PFS it would be the same thing I think?

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

welcome to the forum

The sand will fall to the bottom, pushing the gravel to the surface. You could split the tank so that there is sand and gravel, but as far as mixing - won't work.

3. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I agree with Jaysee. I'm using black gravel on top of my sand to protect some dhg from getting uprooted. Even with agitation from cories and mts it stays right on top.

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If you were to leave just a small layer of gravel, under the sand, the gravel will eventually make it's way to the surface.

5. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

Yes, thats true, I believe it has to do with the smaller particles of sand being able to compact downward into much smaller spaces than the gravel, displacing the gravel upwards.

6. GamerWell Known MemberMember

I've mixed em with the exact results stated above. I should have just scooped the gravel out and replaced it with the rinsed sand to begin with. which can be a pain I know but...

7. BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

I did both. It looks nice, but some of the sand gets sucked up when I siphon the gravel since I have to dig down. I'll be redoing it soon. Probably with fluorite topped with sand.

8. GamerWell Known MemberMember

Sounds good!

I mean I've seen it done, with Eco-Complete under sand.

9. marcusXIIIValued MemberMember

I have the mix and yes the sand always ends up at the bottom but when i syphon the bottom the vacuum brings alot of sand to the top where it becomes visible.
    I have a corner of my tank that is mostly all sand where my kribs live, in a cave. They love grabbing a mounth full of sand and spitting it up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice