mixing genders of cory catfish

1. pumpknmom Member Member

Hi, I'm hoping someone can answer this.

I have 2 cory catfish in my tank, and plan to get 2 more. Does the male to female ratio matter at all? I haven't found anything that says it does. I can't tell the gender of those I have now. They look pretty much the same, except one is darker.
    Thanks!

2. Nick G Well Known Member Member

I don't think it matters unless you're trying to breed them. I have 2 Bronze and 3 Peppered Corys in one of my tanks and have no idea what sex they are.

3. ssanubisss Member Member

ummm I have six and have no clue what gender they are but they look really happy :;banaman

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

id wait until the tank finishes cycling before adding anymore tho!
    sex doesnt matter with them

5. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Breeding them would be hard because you'd have to suit their prefered conditions. If your tank doesn't, you're less likely to have any fry no matter the male-female ratio.

6. Akeath Member Member

Usually the only time you have to worry about gender ratios is 1) If the males or females are territorial to others or 2) If the male or the female is pushy or violent when mating. Neither of these apply for Cories, so it really doesn't matter what mix of sexes you have. I actually know the sexes of my Cories, because I've observed them all mating at some point, and I can tell them apart by their markings, which have slightly different shapes unique to each individual (they are Panda Cories). Except when the female is ready to lay more eggs, the females and males are treated exactly the same by each other. When they do mate, both sexes are gentle and not at all pushy, so you don't have to worry about that.

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats on building the school. Like everyone has said, it doesn't matter unless you are trying to breed them. FYI, females are larger and their bellies keep their mouths off of the bottom when they rest. It takes a while for them to get to that point, though, as I think they are sexually mature at like 2 years.