Mixing Discus?

Discussion in 'Discus Fish' started by Dabaichi, Apr 5, 2019.

1. DabaichiNew MemberMember

Hi everyone I am new here, I recently just bought around five 1 - 1.5 inches juvenile snakeskin discus. I currently own 2 160+g tank and they are housing four 3.5 - 4 inches pigeon blood discus in 1 tank and two 4.5 - 5 inches snakeskin discus in another...

In order to make space for the juvenile discus I move the 4 pigeon blood to join the 2 big brothers but I notice the 2 bigger discus doesn't really like their new tenants, they tend to bite or chase them off during feeding time resulting in the 4 poor blood discus with nothing much to eat, I also notice they lose all their appetite now since they used to be big eater so I am wondering are they stress out from the bullying...

My question is can I move the 2 bigger discus down to the same tank with the juvenile and think they would get along since they are relatives or would I get a bloodbath instead? If can't then should I just wait for these big fishes to get used/along with each other? Thank you all so much!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. A201Well Known MemberMember

I think placing potted plants, or even empty ceramic pots in your tank will help the situation. The baby Discus could use a little cover & concealment from the adults.

3. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Have they been quarantined yet? Cross contamination could easily take out your bigger discus if you put them together. An easy way to help the feeding problem, is to just feed from two spots, the juvies can get chased away from the first spot, and get food from the second

4. DabaichiNew MemberMember

Well I have no knowledge about plants so not gonna do that, wanted to get some logs or something but they cost a bomb in my country and they are hard to find.. Only in big fish farm..

Already did, they all look very healthy:) I thought of that but even if I feed from 2 spot I can't really guarantee the juvies will come out from hiding to eat no? My main worries is would they die from stress since they are still so small compare to the 2 giants lol..

5. jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

6. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Even plastic plants will help, can you get those?
    You're right that feeding from a second spot won't give you a guarantee, but it's worth trying in my opinion
    I also see that according to your profile, you aren't familiar with cycling. Can you click this for me: Nitrogen Cycle let me know if you do actually know about it, or if I need to clarify anything for you

7. DabaichiNew MemberMember

Thank you!

Hmm, I am not very familiar with that.. I have been using Microbe Lift Special Blend to grow some useful bacteria to help with the waste and doing WC every week(Can't do it everyday cos of work commitment) for the past 1 1/2 years, so far the fish seems to be ok except 2 occasion I lose discus due to illness..

I recently lose one due to it swimming with head facing down and the stomach already severely bloated, treated it with metroplex and kanaplex but it was too late cos didn't knew it was that severe... Another one died with fungus surrounding its entire body, quarantine it immediately, treated with kanaplex but died as well... So yeah even though I have these discus for 1 years plus I still don't know much so now I have to rely on experts like you people for help! :)

8. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Well, you must be doing something right then. Where did you get these discus?

Do you have access to water test kits where you live? Specifically the API master test kit?
    Oh and to go back to your actual question, it might be ok to put them together for a little, but I don't remember exactly how cross contamination works. @86 ssinit ?

9. DabaichiNew MemberMember

Yup I can buy those test kit:) Got those discus from an aquarium shop^^ Alright, would try putting them together tomorrow during WC. Just wanna ask would those adult discus get 'used' to each other in the same tank after awhile? Because its been 3 days or should I wait a week longer? Thank you!

10. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I'm fairly certain the chasing you saw was them establishing a "pecking order". Basically figuring out who's most dominant all the way down to least dominant.

If you can get it, that test kit will be very helpful because discus are extremely sensitive to certain compounds that occur naturally in the aquarium. Would it also be possible to do 2 water changes a week? Same reason as above, really sensitive fish.

11. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore. Are your tanks 60gal/l or 160 gal/l. In a as stated 160gal tank you should have no problem mixing all of your older discus. Now if it’s a 60 there may be aggression. As said a pecking order. The small 1” discus should be in a smaller tank doing 50% water changes daily and being fed many times a day 3-5. A 30gal will be good till they get to about 3”.
    Those pigeon bloods are very red. Is that the lighting? Also where do you live?

12. DabaichiNew MemberMember

Will do! I think I will travel far to buy some logs as well, do I have to soak the logs to cleanse it before putting into the tank? Thanks!

Thank you:) Sorry I mean 160 litre tank, sorry for the typo..:oops: I am feeding the smaller discus with a mixture of Freeze Dried BM and Tetra bits. Yeah the pigeon blood are glowing red cos of the lighting. I live in Singapore:)

13. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Singapore is know for bright colored fish :). Here 40gal/160l isn’t a big enough tank for that many discus. Is that the norm there? The new smaller ones will do fine in the 40 till they get to 2.5- 3”. Than they will need a bigger tank. All those fish in the same tank and you looking for a 150 gal or 600l tank.

14. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Soak for a while, or just boil it

15. DabaichiNew MemberMember

Ahh... A 150gal tank here can easily cost more than 2.5k - 3k+sgd which is why I am hesitating.. Not really a norm because discus isn't that famous here in Singapore since it require alot of care, people here prefer betta:) So 6 adult discus is a big nono in a 160l tank? I might just get some logs instead for them to hide.. Thanks!

Will do, thanks for your help!

16. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Wow, that's crazy expensive, even in usd. Any chance you could have anything bigger in the future? Maybe a 75 gallon?
    Unfortunately, 6 adults in a 160l won't work for very long, and if that's the most space you can give them, I wouldn't get any logs so they have as much space as possible

17. DabaichiNew MemberMember

I know, problem is Singapore is a small tiny island so everything must be imported, thus a fish tank can cost a bomb unless you buy those cheap China made tank which would break after awhile(Happen to me before)... Those would still cost around 1500sgd.. I might get a 75g but would see..

They seems to be mingling well now since I am feeding live bloodworm, doing a water change every 4-5 days now as you suggested as the water got really dirty easily now due to the live bloodworm....The Microbe Special Blend don't seem very useful now, is it because of the live bloodworm?

18. DabaichiNew MemberMember

Sorry everyone I got another question now, there seems to be some white spot appearing on the fins of some discus, just wanna check is this some sort of wound or disease? Thanks so much!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. VichuValued MemberMember

Keep up with the water changes it'll go away,nothing but fungus...!