Mixing Different Size Bleeding Heart Tetras

Wickette

I have 7 x one y/o Bleeding heart tetras, I want to add 4 more, the biggest ones for sale are less than half the size of mine, will the adults kill the juveniles?

A201

I think you're good. Add a group of them together rather than a solo. Tetras are far more forgiving than Cichlids regarding new tankmate aggression.

Wickette

A201 said:
I think you're good. Add a group of them together rather than a solo. Tetras are far more forgiving than Cichlids regarding new tankmate aggression.
Ive kept fish for 20 years but these are my first Characidaes.

Tank was started with 4 Bleeding Heart Tetras, couple of weeks later, I got 2 more from a different store. They killed one, badly mauled the other. I replaced them with 2 BH Tetras from the original store. Those got a long immediately. The tetras never showed aggression to any other species.

They've started hiding constantly for a few months now, Id prefer getting a different species of tetra but the guides all say to add more,

A201

Why not add a tougher more active Tetra species such as Columbians, Red Eyes or even Buenoes Aires Tetras. Any one of these can easily handle what ever degree of aggression Bleeding Hearts can dish out.
I've kept all three of these species at one time or another as well as Bleeding hearts. I'd feel comfortable keeping all four species together in the same tank depending on tank size.

Wickette

A201 said:
Why not add a tougher more active Tetra species such as Columbians, Red Eyes or even Buenoes Aires Tetras. Any one of these can easily handle what ever degree of aggression Bleeding Hearts can dish out.
I've kept all three of these species at one time or another as well as Bleeding hearts. I'd feel comfortable keeping all four species together in the same tank depending on tank size.

Id much rather get a different species. Not tougher tetras, but weaker ones.
Most of the tank mates are slower and pretty docile, BH tetras were the best the biggest, less aggressive species that wouldnt be "too big"

My bleeding heart tetras aren't aggressive to each other or tank mates. Theyve only ever been aggressive to "new" BH tetras.

To get them to stop hiding, I would think a school of less tough but similar shaped tetras as dither fish would do the trick (like skirt or lemon tetras) since evidence says anything besides BH Tetras are safe.
But the guides say to add more BH tetras to get them to not hide.

pagoda

My collection of Tetras has grown over the last few months (2 x 80 litre aquariums, Tetras in both)

I have Pristella, Black Neon & Neon in one aquarium and Pristella, Neon, Serpae, Glowlight & Von Rio in the other

I chose the type of Tetra in both aquariums....however...when the aquarium two variety arrived there were 5 types instead of the ordered 2 (actually ordered Glowlight and Von Rio), Not entirely sure how I had the other 3 types in the order but they were all in one bag in the box......methinks the supplier was running low on what I wanted so made up the numbers

They are all different sizes - ranging from 0.5cm to almost 3cm and they get along like the proverbial house on fire....along with the resident grumpy Kissing GouramI and Harlequins

If the Tetras interbreed, goodness knows what they'll look like....but they all get along fine together, no fighting or bullying at all

chromedome52

None of those species are likely to interbreed.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom