Mixing cories and kuhlis

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by QQQUUUUAADDD, Jan 9, 2013.

1. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I currently have a 29 with 9 glowlight tetras, 7 rummynose tetras, a pair of dwarf flag cichlids, and 4 trilineatus cories. I originally had 8 but now they have slowly died off to 4. They form a little quartet so I don't think they need any more of their kind. Could I possibly add 6 kuhli loaches? I've always wanted them. I do a weekly 50-75% water change and I have an Eheim 2215 and Aquaclear 70. The only thing I'm worried about is space. Will there be enough? 30x12

Thanks!

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

From a compatibility standpoint, there's no issue. A 29 is the smallest tank I would keep either in, but I think it's a wee bit small for both.... in the numbers I would keep them in. You could get 6 corys (oops, meant kuhlis), but IME you really need more for them to be active. I think you could get away with keeping more than 6, with the corys you have, though more than 10 bottom dwellers in a 29 is pushing it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I haven't had much luck with cories. I just think the LFS has weak stock. For some reason, after the addition of my dwarf flags, the cories are much more out and about. They're swimming all over the place. I just don't want any more cories. I'd like to have a few kuhlis. Is there any way I can fit some kuhlis in without removing any cories? If there isn't any way then I'm fine. Anything else I could add besides more cories and kuhlis?

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes I think you could easily have 6 kuhlis in with the corys. That's what I meant to say in my previous post.

You could get a Pleco. Beyond that, there isn't anything else I would add.

5. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

Thanks Jaysee. I'll think about it. I'm leaning towards kuhlis but I've always wanted a pleco. I'm going to the LFS on the weekend so I have a few days to think.

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

which one?

7. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

Aquarium center.

8. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for double post.

What do the kuhlis do in too small groups. Do they just sit on the substrate?

9. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

They hide.

10. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

In small groups (less than 6) or just feeling uncomfortable with the environment they seem to hide under things as much as possible. If they don't have anything to hide under they burrow down into the substrate. Either way they don't come out often when they are like that. I have 6 of them and they don't have any problems with coming out during the day, and only hide if I am moving things around.

11. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

This is a strange concept, but the more hiding spots you have the more you will see them.

12. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

my 2 cents is no pleco unless you get the right sized one as they can get HUGE and should not be sold to just anyone. I wish pet stores would not sell them at all along with many other fish they unfortunatly sell to many unsuspecting folks.

13. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I know, I would only get a BN or clown.

14. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

sry i did not see your 1600 posts and just assumed you were going to grab a common pleco. my apologies.

15. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

No big deal. We all make mistakes. :)

16. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I've seen some things get posted by people with higher post counts that made my jaw drop - it's always good to specify.

17. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

A larger post count doesn't necessarily mean a more knowledgeable member. :)

18. QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I'm going for 6 kuhlis.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice