29 Gallon Tank Mixing Colombian and Von Rio Tetras - Initial Stock

heybird72

Reactions
Returning to the hobby after about 15 years away... setting up a 29 gallon planted aquarium. It's been cycling for the past couple months and last week I purchased my first fish. I got 5 Colombian, 4 small Von Rio tetras and 6 corys. My question is about mixing the tetras... they seem to hang out together and the Colombians never bother the Von Rios, only chase each other. I want to get more Von Rios when they are available, but now am concerned that the Colombians will get larger and the 29 might seem cramped. If that happens, I assume they may get more aggressive. Should I add more Colombian tetras to reduce their chasing behavior? Or will adding more Von Rios make all the tetras feel more secure?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Well, 4 Rios together is not enough for them to school properly so sooner of later you would have to add more. Maybe and 2 more of each.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
heybird72 said:
Returning to the hobby after about 15 years away... setting up a 29 gallon planted aquarium. It's been cycling for the past couple months and last week I purchased my first fish. I got 5 Colombian, 4 small Von Rio tetras and 6 corys. My question is about mixing the tetras... they seem to hang out together and the Colombians never bother the Von Rios, only chase each other. I want to get more Von Rios when they are available, but now am concerned that the Colombians will get larger and the 29 might seem cramped. If that happens, I assume they may get more aggressive. Should I add more Colombian tetras to reduce their chasing behavior? Or will adding more Von Rios make all the tetras feel more secure?
Honestly Colombians aren’t suited to a 29 they’re a large Tetra and although I never found them super active when they’re feeding they’re like missiles.
Space or lack of is often a factor in aggression.
I’d lean more to getting more Von Rios than Colombians.

OP
heybird72

heybird72

Reactions
Kdizzle said:
Well, 4 Rios together is not enough for them to school properly so sooner of later you would have to add more. Maybe and 2 more of each.

Yes, was planning to get more. The LFS is going to try to get more in their next order. The funny thing is that the Rios school right along with the Colombians like they're all the same. I'm just not sure 7 Colombians will feel comfortable in a 29G when they're full grown.

OP
heybird72

heybird72

Reactions
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Honestly Colombians aren’t suited to a 29 they’re a large Tetra and although I never found them super active when they’re feeding they’re like missiles.
Space or lack of is often a factor in aggression.
I’d lean more to getting more Von Rios than Colombians.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that may be the case. And yes, when it's feeding time, I have to close the top quickly or I'll get splashed by all the crazy feeding activity.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
If they seem secure, they will probably
heybird72 said:
Yes, was planning to get more. The LFS is going to try to get more in their next order. The funny thing is that the Rios school right along with the Colombians like they're all the same. I'm just not sure 7 Colombians will feel comfortable in a 29 gallon when they're full grown.
If they seem secure they will probably be fine, but you should still consider adding more rios.

New Threads