Mixing Cichlid Sizes

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mtorts, Apr 23, 2017.

1. mtortsNew MemberMember

Hi guys I'm getting ready to stock my tank with some mbunas and a few male peacocks. My question is can I mix smaller juvenile fish with larger mature fish?? There's a guy locally selling mature fish that I want to buy as he is switching to salt water however the rest of my stocking would be younger juvenile fish and I'm not sure what to do. All the large fish are from the same person so they've been in his tank together for awhile and will hopefully all still get along in my tank. Not sure how they will react when smaller fish are introduced

2. Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Hi there,
    I think you should be fine. If they are bigger than 1 inch and are not mature to breed yet, the adults will mostly ignore them.

3. mtortsNew MemberMember

Ok perfect ya the juveniles are about 1 1/2"-2" each.

4. Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Okay, they shouldn't be considered as food then.

5. mtortsNew MemberMember

I've never had so much confusion starting a tank so many rules with these cichlids lol. Guys are always saying 1 male to 3 females but when I go to fish stores the cichlids are usually all mixed in one tank and no one knows which are what. Then the breeders sell them to young to tell so not sure how I'm suppose to mix them as suggested. Then half say no to peacocks with mbuna other half says yes and at the pet store yesterday they were mixed and looked happy and healthy. My head is spinning lol.

6. Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishkeeping! lol

7. plecostomuchValued MemberMember

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What do you mean? I think the OP is trying to have a community not just a pair.

Also, don't keep peacocks and mbunas together, they require different diets.

9. mtortsNew MemberMember

Just going by my research here but sounds like some mbuna such as yellow labs are actually omnivores and will mix well with the peacocks. I've also heard that feeding a mixed tank mainly good quality pellete food and giving blood worms or brine shrimp just once a week is safe for the mbunas and will keep the peacocks healthy and happy. You guys know more than me though so let me know your thoughts.

10. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, yellow labs are omnivores, but not all mbuna are.

11. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Yellow labs are omnivores, demasoni's are herbivores... If my yellow labs get too much spirulina in their diet, they get black dots on their mouth. I also have 1 peacock and a rainbow shark (not recommended usually). Feeding a mixed tank isn't easy but it helps when the fish are right there are the top nearly jumping out of the water waiting to get fed :)
    I've got yellow lab fry in with my adults right now, they are about 1 1/2 inches long and no one is messing with them, but they also have plenty of places to hide.

12. mtortsNew MemberMember

So why are yellow labs always mixed with other mbunas if there omnivores?? Wouldn't they have a similar diet requirement as peacocks?

13. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

No, because they are usually fine eating herbivorous foods, whereas peacocks aren't. At least that is what I discern.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice