Mixing Bettas Together

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
I was wondering if mixing two species of wild bettas in the same aquarium would be possible. I currently own a pair of crescent bettas in a 10 gallon and would like to know if other species could live in the same tank.

Salem

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I personally find that bettas in general should be kept separately or at least with a divider between them. That being said I wouldn't add any more fish of any kind into the 10g.

OP
Crispii

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Salem said:
I personally find that bettas in general should be kept separately or at least with a divider between them. That being said I wouldn't add any more fish of any kind into the 10g.
I'm not talking about domestic Betta splendens.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess its possible its just that most people don't mix them.

OP
Crispii

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
david1978 said:
I guess its possible its just that most people don't mix them.
Yeah. I got interested when I saw some people keeping multiple species of bettas in the same tank and was just wondering if it's a good idea.

Salem

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I know you meant wild ones- in my experience even wild ones should not be kept together because it stresses them out. 10 gallon is enough for 2 bettas but no more. Theyre from rice paddies that go on for miles, theyre super active fish, they are territorial-- they need space.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
A lot of wild betta species aren't actually that aggressive, and some actually prefer being in groups.

In saying, I wouldnt mix species since the possibility of hybridization... which, should be avoided.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
3 years
If you willing to give it a try just be sure to have a back up plan to rehome or separate tanks or even a divider if things go wrong.

OP
Crispii

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
aussieJJDude said:
A lot of wild betta species aren't actually that aggressive, and some actually prefer being in groups.

In saying, I wouldnt mix species since the possibility of hybridization... which, should be avoided.
I'm not trying to breed bettas, I just want to have a community of wild bettas living together.

Moxri

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Crispii said:
I'm not trying to breed bettas, I just want to have a community of wild bettas living together.
Hence, saying there’s a possibility. I’ve seen one before and I believe he only kept females. They were in a 20 long with a bunch of almond leaves. Only aggression was during feeding time.

OP
Crispii

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Moxri said:
Hence, saying there’s a possibility. I’ve seen one before and I believe he only kept females. They were in a 20 long with a bunch of almond leaves. Only aggression was during feeding time.
Tbh, I never seen any bubble nest coming from my male and yet he is housed with a female. The thing is that he would sometimes chase her despite no bubble nest.

Moxri

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Crispii said:
Tbh, I never seen any bubble nest coming from my male and yet he is housed with a female. The thing is that he would sometimes chase her despite no bubble nest.
Some breeds of the wild type are mouth brooders. Do you know which one you’re getting?

OP
Crispii

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Moxri said:
Some breeds of the wild type are mouth brooders. Do you know which one you’re getting?
Not yet, but I have a pair of B. imbellis. I really like B. smargadina and B. mahachaiensis.

Moxri

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Crispii said:
Not yet, but I have a pair of B. imbellis. I really like B. smargadina and B. mahachaiensis.
Same. I’ve been looking for the b mahachaI copper for the longest time.

I was able to keep a harem of betta rubra before but I barely saw them because they hid in the almond leaves all the time. I remember that I had 4 originally but when I sold them I pulled out about 7 or 8.

They were kept in a 20 gallon long tank in a corner of my room without much traffic. I think my mistake was that I kept them secluded so much that when someone comes near the tank they all hide. I would only be able to watch them from the other room.

Salem

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Crispii said:
I really don't mean to be pushy but this is literally a sign of stress and aggression.

New Threads