Mixing Betta with others

mizzoufan96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello Everyone,
Some of you know about my betta sparky, hes been doing great, He has been in a 5 gallon for a while and decided to upgrade him to a 10, I am cycling that tank right now. Now that hes getting a bigger home my mom is insisting that we get him some buddies, shes so stubborn and is just sticking with that idea and I'm not so sure about it. If I were to get just a few more fish for the 10 what could they be? I know a lot of fish will want to nip on the betta. I don't want this to happen.

Please give me a few ideas,
Nathan

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI Nathan personally, I wouldn't add any fish. Most bettas don't do well in cimmunity tanks, especially a 10 gallon. Some members have luck with cories, but imo, a 10 gallon isn't big enough for cories. Mine are pretty bulky and push 3 inches. They also like to be in groups.
Others have otos but they need a very well established tank. The probably won't do well in a newly cycled tank.
A cool snail might be an option.

Why not leave your betta in the 5 gallon and let your mom stock the 10 gallon with community fish?

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Well, it really depends on how much attitude your betta has. I've seen some kept with african frogs, neon tetras, shrimp and otos.

When I was having issues with a 5 gallon tank I kept a betta in, I temporarily added it to my community tank. Although he flared initially at the other inhabitants, the tank had many hiding places and plants and everyone got along great for the 4 weeks he was in that tank. Although this worked out for me, the next betta I get will have a different temperament and may not have the same results.

Good luck with what you end up with.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree that you should keep your betta in the 5 and let your mom put community fish in the 10. Bettas are too hit or miss with working in community set ups.

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
+1 to all the above. Probably best to keep him in the 5 gallon on his own but I think personality is a really big factor. I have a betta community in 15 gallon and it is working beautifully, but my boy has never shown aggression to the others. Still, I have a 5 gallon in storage just in case when I tried it for the first time. I've had two other bettas previously and they were fine with a few friends also (actually they were happier when they had some company!). However, I could have just been lucky personality wise.

If you do go for it, after many attempts with many tetras I found all nipped my boy, even neons. The only fish i've found who are nice to his fins are the cories (again, too big for 10 gallon unless you get dwarf ones - 4 dwarf cories should be ok) or white clouds which are a lovely schooling fish, but you need about 6 for them to be really happy. If he is aggressive at all he might not like them as they swim all over the tank and i've heard that some bettas really don't like to share their swimming space.

Cories or ottos are also a good option as they stick to the floor/substrate&sides of tank, and therefore out of his way.

For 10 gallon, 1x betta and 4 dwarf cories would be my pick (I love pandas, so cute and active!!), but keep the 5 gallon on standby in case he does not play well with them. Then you can also add more fish to the 10 g and you still have a nice cory group!

mizzoufan96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lucy said:
HI Nathan personally, I wouldn't add any fish. Most bettas don't do well in cimmunity tanks, especially a 10 gallon. Some members have luck with cories, but imo, a 10 gallon isn't big enough for cories. Mine are pretty bulky and push 3 inches. They also like to be in groups.
Others have otos but they need a very well established tank. The probably won't do well in a newly cycled tank.
A cool snail might be an option.

Why not leave your betta in the 5 gallon and let your mom stock the 10 gallon with community fish?
Well the thing is I bought the 10 just for the betta. My mom thinks he will be "lonely". She just clueless I guess. Shes thinking of another betta and all I tell her is shes crazy and they will tear eachother up. I'm thinking of the otos because I have those in my 20 and they have done great from the start.

Thanks Everybody, you had great suggestions and I might just use some
-Nathan

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, you never know until you try . They do look nice in a tank with some company!

Mine always actually responded well to company - some bettas can get bored and sulk (sometimes, again depends on personality) if you don't spend time with them, so someone to watch and share the tank an alleviate that I suppose. My personal experience (again, maybe I just got friendly boys!) was that the bubble nests were larger and he was more active when first added tank mates (but never in a bad way like chasing or nipping). He even coloured up a bit more. It's lovely to watch them swim all over the tank gently all day exploring and peacefully checking on his tank mates now and then.

Just don't make his friend another betta of course! (and as as said before, hang on to the 5 G for him just in case he is a type that doesn't like friends!)

All that said, a nice big 10 gallon with lots of things to explore would still be a great home for a single betta and keep him (and you) well entertained!

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you could also divide the 10 gallon and have 2 bettas,

bettalover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
google is really awsome search for betta tankmates.

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A small school of neons would be really good tank mates for your betta, as long as you keep 6 or more they won't nip. It's when they are very small numbers that they become stressed and nip at other fish. Corys are also good tank mates.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads