Mixing Balloon And Me Regular Mollies?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by ASHLEY R COOK, Apr 22, 2018.

1. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

I personal don't know how I feel about balloon mollies yet bc I personally have no fish experience. I know with other animals a lot of people have pure breed animals that can have health problems bc of the traits they are bred for.
    I know people fall on both sides of this discussion but I still wanted to hear what others have to say about it to help me decide.
    When my tank is finished cycling I was going to stock 3 mollies along with my other stocking (one angle, 6 cories, maybe a gourami but maybe not)
    I know I am getting golden panda mollies but I was throwing around the idea of one balloon Molly. I would get the regular mollies as female and the balloon as a male.
    Just wondering fish peeps thoughts about keeping balloon and regular together or keeping balloon mollies at all.
    As u can tell with my stocking plan I'm not actively looking to breed them but if fry survives I'll accommodate them
    Also, if I'm not trying to keep fry is it bad to keep male and female?

2. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

I don't like the idea of balloon fish. They are broken fish, people sell them just to get a quick buck because "they are wacky and cool"!
    I wouldn't bother with them, they have rampant health issues anyways. And no, it's not a bad thing to keep both male and female. If you had only males, they would fight alot unless you only wanted females.

3. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

I would rather have both male and female but I didn't know if it was unethical bc we aren't actively trying to breed them but we are probably gonna fast the tank a couple days after any fry drip so they get eaten.
    I don't mind getting just all panda mollies. Balloon mollies are cute tho but I didn't know how much it messes up their quality of life.

4. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

It stresses the fish out alot, but that is exactly why they create them, they look cute. And people argue about the ethical nature of culling fry all the time. With live bearers, you just kinda have to deal with the fact eventually you will need to cull the fry unless you want to set up additional tanks. If you have a large enough tank with good plant cover, the fry may actually live to juvenile size though.

5. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

It is a deformity, they are bred to have shorter spines (causing them to look like pugs with a squished look), this breeding causes the organs of the fish to be forced down to the stomach area, making it bulge out. The fish will have issues competing for food because they waddle, not swim, through the water. They live shorter lives because of the deformity compared to mollies that aren't bred for the shortened body.
    If you have seen other balloon animals it looks wrong compared to the same animals that aren't deformed.