Mixing a male betta in a 10 gallon

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Forgive me for bouncing all over the place the past few days...anyhow, my male Betta smaragdina, Azure, is still in 'solitary confinement' in a 2.5 gallon bowl after an unsuccessful attempt at spawning him with my female smaragdina, Prisca (who now has her own 5 gallon). However, I am beginning to feel some pity for him, being stuck in such cramped quarters as he is, and I am considering setting up the 10 gallon planted tank to accommodate him. It would feel rather funny for me to dedicate an entire 10 gallon to a single relatively small fish, however...which brings me to my question; Could I keep this male betta with any fishy tank mates? I would love to have a pair or group of another fish species (a spawning project, naturally...obviously they would have to be bred in another tank) kept with him so long as he will not harm them. If it was possible, I would add the other species to the tank first before adding Azure. Thanks :)

Aurorafishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Joshaeus said:
Hi everyone! Forgive me for bouncing all over the place the past few days...anyhow, my male Betta smaragdina, Azure, is still in 'solitary confinement' in a 2.5 gallon bowl after an unsuccessful attempt at spawning him with my female smaragdina, Prisca (who now has her own 5 gallon). However, I am beginning to feel some pity for him, being stuck in such cramped quarters as he is, and I am considering setting up the 10 gallon planted tank to accommodate him. It would feel rather funny for me to dedicate an entire 10 gallon to a single relatively small fish, however...which brings me to my question; Could I keep this male betta with any fishy tank mates? I would love to have a pair or group of another fish species (a spawning project, naturally...obviously they would have to be bred in another tank) kept with him so long as he will not harm them. If it was possible, I would add the other species to the tank first before adding Azure. Thanks :)
Yes. Considering your tank size, there are many videos on YouTube about it. A few I can name off the top of my head are corydora catfish, Neon And amber tetras, and African dwarf frogs. There are obviously more. Most Bettas are fine with smaller fish which stay in a different area (like catfish stay at the bottom and don’t bother Bettas often), oh and avoid fin nippers they can make your betta mad.
10 gallons might be a bit small though.

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks! Does the fact this is a wild type betta affect anything, though?

Aurorafishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Joshaeus said:
Thanks! Does the fact this is a wild type betta affect anything, though?
I don’t think so. I think it actually helps since I heard wild bettas are less aggressive? Not so sure on if they are less aggressive. But they don’t change anything. :)

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Its not reccomend to house bettas with other fishmates unless its a 20gal or larger. 10gals are just perfect to house 1 thriving betta along with few snails/shrimp. I do not recommend adding fishmates or he can become aggressive, territorial, and stressed.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Its not reccomend to house bettas with other fishmates unless its a 20gal or larger. 10gals are just perfect to house 1 thriving betta. I would not recommend or he will become aggressive, territorial, and stressed.
I agree, 10s are a bit too small.

bumblinBee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Have you ever housed this betta with other fish before? What is his temperament?

OP
Joshaeus

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
tum0r said:
Have you ever housed this betta with other fish before? What is his temperament?
The only fishes I tried to house him with was the aforementioned female betta and a persian killifish (which was immediately flared at...I removed the killifish within minutes, so I do not know what would have happened next). Maybe mixing him with other fish would not be such a good idea...oh well

bumblinBee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Joshaeus said:
The only fishes I tried to house him with was the aforementioned female betta and a persian killifish (which was immediately flared at...I removed the killifish within minutes, so I do not know what would have happened next). Maybe mixing him with other fish would not be such a good idea...oh well
I would say that's a pretty good indication that he is not well suited for roommates I'm afraid. You could try him out with tank mates to see how he reacts, but honestly I'd say it isn't worth it.

New Threads