Mixed Snails for Love or Hate

1. G

Greececonvict003 Valued Member Member

About 2 months ago I bought mixed snails to put into my 5 gallon tank with led light. "Housed Snails" And also one betta fish. :;betta :;snail. (3 gold mystery snails, 2 golden rabbit snails & 5 apple snails). I put fish vacation food for 7 days.

One week ago we are away for our vacation at Mexico just for one week. We just got back home on Saturday evening. I noticed that 3 gold mystery snails, and 2 golden rabbit snails died. Seemed so strange! Why are the apple snails alive?
    Was it apple snails attacked or enemy of my 3 gold mystery snails and 2 golden rabbit snails? Mixed Snails for Love Or Hate? Why the snails don't get along with another snails? Wondering Why? ??? Was it different type of snails? I am afraid otherwise I wouldn't to buy another snails. I guess I will keep my 5 apple snails for now on........

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

It's hard to say but can you tell us your water parameters? How long has your tank been cycled?

I know from personal experience, I've had a male Betta attacking my mystery snail when he got ready to build a bubblenest and almost killed it. I've had other fish attack my snails as well. They could have died for other reasons such as the water quality.

Btw - a 5 gallon tank is not big enough for more than 1 or maybe 2 mystery and or apple snails. They have a pretty high bioload.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 Well Known Member Member

A 5 gallon tank is really small for so many 'big' animals. If your apple snails are true apple snails (canas or other), they need a much bigger tank and will probably get about the size of a baseball. Canas (Pomacea canaliculata) can be very aggressive and likely would kill the other snails. That's not saying they did, but they certainly could.

I would say the problem is the small tank size. The mystery and apple snails can leave the water, I don't know about the rabbits. But they eventually need to get in the water anyway. High ammonia levels can burn the mystery snails and make them swell. They retreat into their shells and don't come back out. It takes them quite a while to die by starvation, so if they were in fact dead the tank was probably way too dirty for so many animals.

4. OP
    OP
    G

I am so shocked! I didn't know that! :eek: My 5 apple snails are very small about 1 1/2 inches by now. Yes that's correct my apple snails are true apple snails. I didn't realize that they would grow that big size of a baseball. How long the life span for the apple snails to live? Very interesting information!

My golden rabbit snails are hard heavy tough shells. I finds that the shell it weighs like metal pen. I cannot explain how I can feel to lift that weigh and its about 4 inches long. Probably about 5 inches per gallon (5 gallon water) for one golden rabbit snail in the water.

I do regularly changed the water every once week. Anyway it didn't last probably way too dirty for so many little animals. :animal0070:

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

They do get big! My mystery snails were the size of ping pong balls ( well the females were ) but even the males were just a tiny bit smaller.

6. OP
    OP
    G

[​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    G

Thanks! Now I am feeling better! :eek: That does make sense to me!