Mixed Neocaradina Shrimp Degradation

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have any shrimp right now, but I'd like to get some blue dreams and maybe some orange shrimp in my month and a half old 60g. Obviously the tank isn't established yet so I'll be waiting a while.

I have a few questions.

1. How long do I need to wait for the tank to establish? I've heard 2 months, 6 months, just about everything.

2. If I mix two types of neos, I know they will degrade to "wild colors."
....What ARE wild colors?
....how long will that transition take?

3. Is there an alternative shrimp that could go in my tank?

Current stocking numbers
..9 adult platies
..4 adult guppies
..1 sterbaI cory
..2 juliI corys
..2 or 3 pepper corys
..1 bronze cory
..14 plus baby livebearers (mostly platies, but maybe some guppies)

Thanks.

Edit:
Here are some photos of the tank. The first two are the tank after a rescape and the addition of sand for the corys. The last one was just before the rescape when I had the two angelfish (which I rehomed because they were eating babies :( )
20200321_125118.jpg
20200321_125113.jpg
20200320_073903.jpg
20200320_163608.jpg

fish47

Reaction score
Sanderguy777 said:
3. Is there an alternative shrimp that could go in my tank?
You could get some caridinas that wouldn't breed with the neocaridinas but they are generally more expensive and harder to care for.
Sanderguy777 said:
2. If I mix two types of neos, I know they will degrade to "wild colors."
....What ARE wild colors?
....how long will that transition take?
wild colors are like brown, light red and other variations I'll put up some pictures.
It would take as long as they take to start breeding with each other. The other fish would most likely eat most of the babies though so it might be fine.

Attachments

RedGallant

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would say the wild colors are brown, green, transparent, I'd say a few generations to get Wild type

OP
Sanderguy777

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fish47 said:
You could get some caridinas that wouldn't breed with the neocaridinas but they are generally more expensive and harder to care for.
wild colors are like brown, light red and other variations I'll put up some pictures.
It would take as long as they take to start breeding with each other. The other fish would most likely eat most of the babies though so it might be fine.
Caridina are out. I'd get them instead of the flue dreams as I think their colors are more interesting, but I don't have RO water or the time for them. I don't even own a TDS meter lol.
I know the first generation would be a cross between the two original colors (lrb sells some like that).

RedGallant said:
I would say the wild colors are brown, green, transparent, I'd say a few generations to get Wild type
Ok, so if I WANTED a "new" color, I'd put the different colors together till the eggs hatched then pull out the parents and put them back in the original tank. The babies would stay in that spawning tank till I could sell them or whatever right?
Oh for a fish room.... lol

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Answer your questions
1. 2-4 months after cycled.
2. Natural color are brown. Varies but 2-3 generations is common.
3. Amano or Bamboo

Understand the chances of you growing out a colony of neo’s with that stocking of fish is slI'm to none.
I would strongly recommend a species only tank with nothing but Neo’s.

OP
Sanderguy777

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tjander said:
Answer your questions
1. 2-4 months after cycled.
2. Natural color are brown. Varies but 2-3 generations is common.
3. Amano or Bamboo

Understand the chances of you growing out a colony of neo’s with that stocking of fish is slI'm to none.
I would strongly recommend a species only tank with nothing but Neo’s.
I'm lucky I have this tank. I'm in college, so money is tight.
If I was to up the chances of growing a colony, what fish would you get rid of. (I want a neo and fish tank, so maybe if I got rid of the platies? )

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My views on this topic, are pretty well known. I do not advocate Neo shrimp and fish in the same tank in anyway.
I have seen guppies eat shrimp I actually watch a Cory cat slurp up a cherry shrimp fry.

So I get it, cherry shrimp and neons what a great combo. I wish it was possible but I personally think that 99.9 % of all fish will eat shrimp. There are many people who would disagree with me on this. They are entitled to there opinion but remember the ultimate decision on fish and shrimp in the same tank is yours.

Hope this makes sense to you.

OP
Sanderguy777

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tjander said:
My views on this topic, are pretty well known. I do not advocate Neo shrimp and fish in the same tank in anyway.
I have seen guppies eat shrimp I actually watch a Cory cat slurp up a cherry shrimp fry.

So I get it, cherry shrimp and neons what a great combo. I wish it was possible but I personally think that 99.9 % of all fish will eat shrimp. There are many people who would disagree with me on this. They are entitled to there opinion but remember the ultimate decision on fish and shrimp in the same tank is yours.

Hope this makes sense to you.
Yes it does.

And I understand your point too. It is interesting that you said something about corys, I was just thinking about whether they eat babies the other day. It makes sense, they have to eat SOMETHING, and even if they preferred vegetation, they might mistake an egg or fry or baby for some small morsel....

jpaquatics

Reaction score
If you wanted to get rid of a fish in hopes of keeping the Neos with your stock, I’d get rid of all the livebearers as they are particularly active feeders and can be pretty nippy. They will probably prevent you from ever seeing a second generation survive. I completely agree with tjander on this topic.

New Threads