Mixed cichlids?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Flyfrod, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Flyfrod

FlyfrodValued MemberMember

I'm thinking of putting a jewel, firemouth, and cockatoo in my planted 65gal tank. I only have my angel, rainbow shark, and clown pleco still in the tank. I relocated my other fish to one of my other tank.

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

I think it would be fine :) and updating your aquarium info would be great!

3. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I don't think it would work I'm afraid. The Firemouth & Jewel would be fine together & with your other fish but the Apisto is not going to do so well with large & aggressive tankmates.

4. OP
    OP
    Flyfrod

What cichlid could I put with a jewel and firemouth?

5. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

Are the angel, shark, and pleco staying in the tank also?

Brian

6. OP
    OP
    Flyfrod

Yes I want to add to them.

7. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

Without the jewel you might be ok, they are pretty tough and would eventually kill many of the others if you ask me.

8. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

Don't put a jewel cichlid with an angel. The angels can't take the abuse from a jewel. Firemouth, apisto, festivum will all work with angels.

9. OP
    OP
    Flyfrod

Well thanks for all the advise. I got a jewel the other day and have him the tank. My angel and shark chase him around right now. I figure I can keep an eye on things since he is a juvie. If things get rough I can move himto his own 30g and make a jewel only tank.

10. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

When the jewel gets some size and gets comfortable, it will rule the tank. They are pretty fish but they have a lot of attitude.

11. pepetj

pepetjWell Known MemberMember

I saw two Jewel Cichlid species at one of the LFS, one red, the other blue. I wanted them for my Amazon tank but decided not to get them once I read how territorial, aggressive, and nasty they turn. I believe they will become aggressive even if not mating.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

12. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

Caution!..The Apisto's would be the little guys on the block....with other larger cichlids except the angels. You wouldn't want all the lower level fish fighting for territories in the tank. Angels are more mid level and I never had trouble with the apistos and the angels.

13. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

The Jewel as soon as it grows it will show his/her character and remind all the rest who's the Boss.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice